Birding in the snow

Between helping my dad shovel snow around their house yesterday I would bring out the camera for some bird photos. My parents keep two bird feeders up year round, so I usually spend some time in the yard getting some bird shots when I visit. With all the snow falling here in the mountains of North Carolina, the birds were a plenty around the feeder. I have read and seen others say you have to put in the time, the good time and bad times. In the middle of the afternoon, with about an inch of snow an hour coming down, I got my D300s, 300mm, and SB600 all onto my monopod. I got covered in snow, cold, and wet. By going out in terrible conditions, I think I got some of my best bird photos to date.

C&C always welcome!

1137162481_Ctz5N-L-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1137165034_CifNZ-L-2.jpg

1137166835_J6DsW-L-2.jpg

1137177664_PRdrX-L-2.jpg

1137167885_u8T5p-L-2.jpg

1137155969_Yvf9i-L-2.jpg

Enjoy
Jason

Great photos! I've never seen a live Cardinal, so seeing people's photos of them is really cool.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
good work in a snowy day. Know, don't you feel proud of your work outside to get these images. Makes you warm all over doesn't it?! Well done,

Wade

excellent as cardinals are not ones to take to having a camera pointed at them... I was shooting the other day with our snow and boy.. the feeders are full, point the camera at them.. they were gone..

Love the Cardinals! I can't decide which I like the best; male vs female. The brilliant red of the male makes a color statement against the winter colors -- and the female's positioning and image composition are most attractive.

I came back for another look; decided I like the female in #2 the best. Framed in the branches is quite unique.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom