Birding with Desert Rat

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Chris101, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I had the distinct pleasure of being shown the Tres Rios Hay Field Site, a wastewater/riparian habitat reclaimation project run by Phoenix and three surrounding cities, by our very own Eric, the Desert Rat, a member from LA who came to Phoenix over the holidays.

The project is amazing - several small ponds, surrounded by reeds and other indigenous flora attract a wide range of animal life, including many birds I thought were only found near the ocean! Eric knows his birds and guided me (a novice and inexperienced birder at best) to the birds, showing me many of the large aquatic birds I'm familiar with from this forum.

A Green Heron hiding among the reeds:
    [​IMG]

A Great Blue Heron landing on it's observation platform:
    [​IMG]

A Black Crested Heron, blurry, but I shot him anyway... :wink:
    [​IMG]

A Snowy Egret on a small clump in the middle of the pond (scarey reed induced bokeh, eh?):
    [​IMG]

Another shot of a Green Heron, with sparkley water plants in the background:
    [​IMG]

A Cormorant - I never would have expected to find these in Arizona:
    [​IMG]

The Desert Rat himself:
    [​IMG]

The park was truly amazing - there are rumors of bald eagles, bob cats, and lots of trees cut down by beavers! I will be returning soon (it's 25 minutes away!)

[size=+2]Thanks Eric!!![/size]

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice birdie shots Chris. I especially like the last one. You might make a birder yet. :biggrin:

Do you ever sleep??!? :rolleyes:

4. wow Chris who da thunk???
    the snowy egret is an outstnding image. Is that Eric's best side?
    Dave

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Man I can see some lens lust about to hit you hard now that you have been shown where to find the birds...
    Anyone want to start a pool on when Chris buys his first really long lens?
    :biggrin:
    Nice photos Chris.. can't wait to see what you can do with a 300 F2.8 on that new D200 your just going to have to get now or maybe a D2X so you can get that HSC mode... :biggrin:

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    heehee Chris,
    Wow man I am proud of you.

Great job.. Love the GBH shot.. that is spot on.
    Greeny and Cormorant are great too. Snowey is a good one.

So we have a new birdy person. Fun isn't it.

(Something tells me you have done this at least once before.)

Hey DR thanks for taking Chris to the Arizona wetlands... Just like our Viera wetlands. Looks quite the same Chris.

7. A Black Crested Heron, blurry, but I shot him anyway

interesting way to look at it, maybe some birds are "blurry" by nature and my shooting is not bad after all.......:rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :biggrin:

8. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Looks like you had fun Chris. That place sounds a lot like the Vierra Wetlands in FL.
    Be careful, it can be addicting. Then you have no more $$$:frown: .

9. Great stuff and proof one doesnt need expensive long glass if there are accommodating models around

10. Hey there Chris.. i see you got some pretty decent images... The greenie shots are quite nice and the GBH is Awesome.. Looks like he is about to take off...:biggrin: :biggrin:

The one is a Black Crowned Night heron in flight...
    How did those Greenie Shots turn out with my 200-400 lens?
    I see you got a decent shot of that greenie that popped out while we were standing behing the blind they have setup.. I could not get setup fast enough...

The GBH were setting up there rookery site and staking out nexts.. When i got there they were abotu a dozen of them standing in the tree on nest sites slihouetted. Problem was they s:biggrin: tarted flying away as I was setting up the gear on the tripod...

Did Chris mention that there were about 2 dozen Egrets in one area of the pond we were looking at?

I just got back to LALA land yesterday and have to look at some of the images.. I shot over 20GB of images while away last week... Lots of editing...

11. My gosh Chris, you have succumbed as well. Nice shots with good variety. Looks like you and Eric had a nice time.

12. geez Chris, I didnt know you shot wildlife!:eek:

Nice job. Next thing we know you'll be lugging a 500mm on a gitzo/wimberley like the rest...:wink:

13. Chris I went out to the Gilbert Park earlier in the week and there are lots of Hummingbirds and a few other birds around.. Problem is all the Burrowing Owls are gone and the Ponds are dried up...
    The westside zoo stuff I have some pretty decent images.. I also went up to McCormick Ranch and found lots of Widegons and Canadian Geese around...

If you hit Tres Rios earlier you can see all the Herons in the Tree with the nest sites...

You know in regard to Tres Rios we may have not gotten everywhere in the place... There is supposed to be a osprey out there as well... Did not see him, but he is out there somewhere... Also the Cormorants were Brandts I think Species wise...