1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Birdman's Ospreys

Discussion in 'Merritt Island VI' started by DW Brewer, Feb 14, 2009.

1. DW Brewer

DW Brewer Guest

I spent three days with Mike McCarthy after leaving Fort DeSoto. I got back home late yesterday (to much colder temps than we had in Florida!). I see many good images posted already; some of which I recognize because I was imaging the same birds! Since I was the only one to visit Mike, I thought I would begin my MIVI posts with some of "his ospreys." Mike is still "The Osprey Whisperer." On this day, the male returned to the nest with the remains of a Sheepshead (fish) weighing about 2 - 21/2 pounds. He gave it to the female who flew off to have her share. As the male approached the nest, he was drifting sideways to land. As luck would have it, Mike and I were imaging side-by-side in the front of his boat, and the male presented an almost dead head-on image opportunity. These are from a fifteen shot sequence.
    D300+100-300 zoom, at about 210mm, manual exposure.

-
    109185971.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

-
    109185996.jpg

-
    109186009.jpg

2. luisv

luisv

Feb 8, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Great images, David. The first one is my favorite due to the wing position.
    I am glad you made it back safely after all that driving. I look forward to seeing more of your images.

3. Beautiful close ups. I like them.

4. Nicely done David. Love the poses but was hoping to see the whole sequence. :-P Would have loved to have frank, Andreas and Allan in the boat like last year. Sorry you guys. Maybe next time. I'll keep the ospreys around....DON'T WORRY. Glad you could make it down again David. Now get those eagle shots up so I can see them. Woot!!

Keep warm buddy. It was in the mid 80's today and hot. LOL

5. Wow, Dave! I had wondered where you were and why we hadn't seen any posts or images from you yet.....hadn't realized that you were still having fun out there! It takes a while to get all the images sorted and then ready for processing.....I'm about to embark on serious processing tomorrow!

6. DW Brewer

DW Brewer Guest

Birdman: Thanks for the weather report. We never made it above 35 degrees today. Even the dogs didn't want to go outside...! Will be starting on the eagle images soon...
    Connie: Yeah, I stayed around Fort DeSoto for a couple of more days; got into some woodstorks, egrets, and a spoonie. Didn't get the Reddish Egret though. Even managed some more eagle images at the cemetery. I decided to stake out the roost tree and struck it lucky. I'm slowly wading through about 85 GB of images, deciding which to keep, which to process, which to discard, etc. Having to work around some additional remodeling projects. Nice to finally meet up with you and image together. Next year...

7. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent set Dave. I figured you would come home with soem greta osprey captures if you were going out with Mike.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.