Birds at Chincoteague. May 14-15. Seven on board. Join us!

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by Gordon Large, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi folks -

After doing a little research and talking to a biologist at Chincoteague NWR, I'm going by myself if I have to! It sounds like bird heaven, and mid-May is the best time to go. My suggestion is either the weekend of May 14-15 or 21-22. A couple of people have already expressed an interest, but more people = more fun. I hope a bunch of you will want to come along. Just post to the thread to sign up. And contact any friends you think might be interested. They don't have to be members of NC.

I spent a half hour on the phone with one of Chincoteague's biologists. As I said, it sounds like bird heaven. Here's a brief summary of what she said -

Right now there are some Great Blue Herons and Great Egrets - ones that live there year-round. Starting in mid-April and peaking in mid-May lots more will be migrating through or arriving for summer vacation. Virtually all the heron species and some additional egrets.

Some shore bird species are already migrating or arriving, but the number peaks about mid-May. The numbers of species and birds she told me are unbelievable.

There are some Bald Eagles now, and more will be coming through later.
    Ditto for raptors.

She also told me a little about the NWR and is going to send me a packet of information. There is one 3+ mile paved wildlife loop, but no cars are allowed on it until 3pm. You can also drive to parking lots by the beach at any time. You can walk around the loop, and their are several miles of other walkable trails that have good access to birds. All the beach is open except the dunes and one area roped off for Piping Plovers. You can see and photograph the PPs from the beach.

SO.....Chincoteague just went on my "gotta go there" list, and it would be great if we could put a good sized group together from this forum and others. I've posted on Nature Photographers Network, and I'm going to post on (shudder) DPR.

What I plan to do is drive down on a Thursday and back to PA late Sunday. You all obviously can come and leave whenever you want. I have some info about places to stay from another outing that I couldn't make.

I'll update you as I get more info. Please post here if you are interested, and let me know which weekend - hopefully both to make scheduling easier - works for you.

I'm looking forward to meeting and sharing a good time and a good photo session with a bunch of you. This is gonna be fun!

Gordon

2. Re: Bird shoot in VA and MD? Wanna get a group together?

Georgetown....oh, you mean REAL birds.:lol: I am not well versed but I'm sure someone knows and I will participate if I can. Melissa?

Rich

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Rich -

We're not getting much action here. I'll try messaging a couple of people to drum up some interest.

Gordon

4. Depending on my schedule I am up for it.....

5. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Rich and Mike -

OK, we're on a roll. Up to three! Can you guys send direct messages or emails to anyone you think might be interested? I'll post on the Nature Photographers Net site - good folks there (although some do carry those white lenses).

Gordon

6. When are we lookign to do this a rough time frame I know they will be asking

7. This weekend, Easter is out and the next is SUPPOSED to be the Cherry Blossom festival...hey why not join Melissa and me at the tidal basin that weekend?

The birding session would have to be after that.

Suggestions? By the way...where is Melissa?

Rich

8. Re: Bird shoot in VA and MD? Wanna get a group together?

Hi Gordon,

I'm sorry I didn't chime in but I have been posting on other areas of the forum.

Rich... I am here...and still interested in the Cherry Blossom Festival.

I have to say that Chicoteague, Virginia is a nice place to go shooting for birds, wild miniature horses and wildlife. I live south of Chicoteague so that much I can tell you. I can look on their website and find some info for you on when the best time is for birds and I will get back to you. Depending on when you go, I would be willing to drive up there to do the same even though I'm not good at shooting birds but willing to give it a try :)

9. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Update moved to first post...

See first post...

10. Re: Info from Chincoteague and timing of trip

Hi Gordon,

I'm still interested as of now and planning on the trip. Will know more later but count me in for now.

There are many wildlife refuges in Virginia all along the water in various places. I have one that is 20 minutes away from me which I have only visited once. Chicateague has a lot to offer. Hopefully the weather will hold up too.

11. Re: Bird shoot at Chincoteague in mid-May. Want to join us?

Unfortunately Carolyn and I will be beginning our Canadian odyssey then.

Rich :(

12. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Re: Bird shoot at Chincoteague in mid-May. Want to join us?

Rich -

Sorry you won't be able to join us, but it sounds like you're off on a pretty good trip yourself. Have fun, and we'll get together later in the year.

Gordon

13. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    This post is now a sticky at the request of Gordon.

Thanks,

14. Re: Bird shoot in VA and MD? Wanna get a group together?

Hi Rich,

As far as I know, I am planning on this one too if all goes well. I'm just waiting for a confirmed date so I can make plans and see where everyone wants to meet in Chicateague.

15. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi folks -

The weekend of May 14-15 seems to be the best for the most people, so that's now official. I'm planning on driving down from Philly on Thursday May 12 and drive back late Sunday. You all can come earlier, stay later, spend a week or just a day. Please let me know whether you are coming, and which days you think you may be there.

I'll post all the info I have gathered in a day or two. The one thing I have already checked is that there are lots of hotel/motel rooms available very close to the NWR because we are off-season. Should be pretty reasonable rates too.

Should be good fun and good shooting!

Gordon

16. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Chincoteague

Hi -

This is a copy of a PM sent to folks who have said they are coming. Purpose of posting: to entice more of you!

As I posted a couple of days ago, the outing is going to be the weekend of May 14-15. I'm driving down from PA on Thursday and leaving Sunday night. Others may come early, leave early, stay for a day or several days.

I promised that you would get info out to folks who had expressed interest in a couple of days. Well, I haven't forgotten you. I don't know how I how I stay so busy when I'm retired, but I haven't had time to follow up. You'll hear from me in a day or two. I promise!! There are tons of available hotel rooms available (they will be in the info I send), so there is no rush except - hopefully - to block out the day(s) on your calendar that you will be there.

OK, I've got a few minutes, so I'm adding the first batch of info:

The URL of the Refuge Inn, which apparently is pretty nice and just outside the refuge. It's where I'm staying, their prices are very reasonable and they have lots of rooms available.

http://www.refugeinn.com/

The NWR website -

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/chinco/

The Chincoteague Island home page, with lists of hotels, restaurants, etc. -

http://www.chincoteague.com/

More info to follow.

It would be helpful if you could let me know whether you are planning or might come, and what days? It will help me think about where and when to meet, have meals, etc.

Thanks and hope I see you at C -

Gordon

17. Hey gang,
    I may try to make this one. was hoping the weekend of the 22nd was more likely but it is what it is. I am going to be in canaan valley, W.Va attending a nature photo worksop the 5th thru the 8th of may, then on to other parts of W.Va for mothers day, return to work on the 12th. I can not imagine chincotique(or however you spell it) is too far from me tho.
    Dave

18. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Dave -

Hope you can make it. Let me know when you have decided. I think everyone is likely to stay at the Refuge Inn. There are plenty of rooms available, but you might want to make a reservation anyhow. You can always cancel it later.

I'm an optimist - see you in Chincoteague! :D

Gordon

19. Thanks Gordon. I will call in a reservation this evening. I plan to arrive friday eve, leave sunday sometime. If any of youz are having dinner together friday eve/night let me know and i will make a point to join you so I can meet everyone and get up to speed on saturdays plans.

20. reservation are secured. will be there.
    dave