Birds at Gatorland in Orlando

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Was at Gatorland a few weeks ago to check out the action at the Rookery there. Unfortunately, the trees were bare! Guess it's still a bit too early. There were a few that came by for a visit and strangely enough I got some interesting shots.

It was an overcast day with periods of light rain which always makes for interesting tones. Here's an egret. 70-200VR + 1.4tc
    [​IMG]

This was the first night heron I've ever seen and shot. It was pretty cool for me. 300/f4 AFS + 1.4tc
    [​IMG]

Then of course the day wouldn't be complete without at least one shot of the flamingoes. 70-200VR + 1.4tc
    [​IMG]

Interesting pose on this Egret. 300/f4 AFS
    [​IMG]

Because of the 3-story pavilion at Gatorland, you're able to get some interesting angles of flight shots. Like this. 70-200VR + 1.4tc
    [​IMG]

And this guy was over by the flamingoes saying "Oh Gale! Oh Flew! I'm waiting for you!!" 70-200VR
    [​IMG]

Have a great day everyone and thanks for looking!! :smile:

2. Kevin
    Great shot of the night Heron that is just awesome and I bet you are tickled pink like the great flamingo shot. Sorry I could not resist. I always look forward to your series.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    An excellent series of shots Kevin. You should be justifiably pleased. :smile:

When do you think that things will pick up there? Do you think there will be more activity in early Feb (when Harry's planned Merritt III is tentatively scheduled)?

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Excellent Kevin
    Really as you said nice soft light you can really see it clearly on the NH shot!
    Love that Egret pose you got
    Really outstanding work!

When it's baby time again should be a great place for images !!

5. Kevin

The Flamingo is great.

Russ

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good stuff Kevin..

Hello back to my friend that awaits in such patience ...lolololol

7. These are all great, but that NH is special. Thanks for posting!

8. Kevin this is great. I really like the Flamingo pose and the Egret.. Beautiful birds.

9. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Kevin,

Great shots! I like them all. I was especially drawn to the first one because it almost looks like a B&W but with the beak in color. Definitely frameable.

10. This is great, Kevin. I like the spreaded wings egret most. The flamongo must develop some neck pain:smile:

11. Callie

Callie Guest

Kevin
    Thses are all great, but I concur about the NH, the plumage detail is great. love the way you are framing & the PP, looks like Flew's finishing. Do you use the same method?
    I will have to start shooting in raw, and get the FM plug-in.
    A great series.

12. Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I was kind of partial to the night heron shot. To me, it has that same quality of many of the shots that made me lean towards Nikon in the first place. Just glad that I can occasionally get a shot off like that, too.

13. Hi Frank,
    A month or so ago, I asked the workers at Gatorland about Nov and what the activity level would be like. They said November is when the birds begin to arrive. I can only imagine that as the winter months keep approaching the Rookery there will increase in activity. I'll be keeping tabs on the place and plan to go there frequently and will report back as MI3 approaches. I've also talked to Harry about scoping out some other potential locations as well.

14. Hi Callie and thanks for the kind words!

I'm not sure what framing action that Flew's using now. I sent him some that I've tried but not sure what he settled on. I downloaded mine from ATNCentral. I was using one called EZMitre but now have switched to Bud Guinn's Basic Matt since it's super fast.

As for PP, my typical process is to check Levels and adjust if necessary, do a rather heavy sharpening (USM), save for web, reload the jpg, do a "reverse sharpening" then another light/moderate sharpening (both USM). The 3-step sharpening tip I learned from someone on this forum a while back and I use it for every non-portrait shot. This is all done in Photoshop 7.

I'm also only shooting jpg. I'm ready to start monkeying around with RAW and will probably try out Bibble for starters since it seems to not bog down the systems from what I've read. I've got to arrange for a secondary harddrive as mine is rather full and I'm getting tired of burning CDs in order to download new shots. :wink:

15. Callie

Callie Guest

Hi Kevin
    Thanx for the note.
    I used to do severe USM too, but now I use exposure in CS II, it seems to sort out most of my previous lack of sharpness. What is reverse sharpening?
    I normally go to edit sharpening and then look which mode gives me the bes rendering, like Darken or Modify. I also tried Neatimage, but find it too finicky.
    Regards

16. I don't know if that's the technical term, just one I've heard used before for this technique.

I typically start with anywhere from 400-490 with .8-1.1 depending on the shot, leaving the last slider set to 0.

Save for web, reload image then do the "reverse" sharpening, using a setting of about 10, 20, 0. Then the last step is back to about 250, .2, 0. These are ballpark numbers and I always view at 100% to check the effects, but typically they work out really well.

17. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Kevin - This is a really great series. The Night Heron and Flamingo are superb - should be framed and on your wall. Congrats and keep'em coming.

Gordon

18. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Great shots, Kevin! That must be a great place to shoot if you can get shots like that when the trees are bare. I remember your rookery shots and flight shots from earlier in the year and look forward to more.

19. Kevin,

All of these are very good, but the Night Heron is special.

Bob

20. Thanks, Gordon! You know, I've never even printed any of my shots yet to hang on the wall. Maybe I should consider that and start.

Thanks, Don, for the kind words! I'm really excited about the upcoming birding season. Of course we have birds here all year round but it should get really exciting in the months to come.

Hi Bob. I was really pleased with the NH shot, too! Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. I appreciate it!