Birds at Slimbridge

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Dave Rosser, Jul 25, 2007.

1. I havn't posted a lot of pictures recently and as it stopped raining yesterday and I was volunteering at Slimbridge I took a few pictures. All with D1H and 80-400VR

A couple of Great Crested Grebe

A bewick swan - this is one that was captive bred and brought up by a pair of Coscaroba Swans which had lost their cygnet.

and a Flamingo.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Super pics Dave. Don't be such a stranger. :smile:

3. WOW! What beautiful birdies! I can't even claim a favorite! Keep em comin!

4. I will try and post some more - I take enough to be sure :biggrin:

5. I was wondering, is Slimbridge far enough down the estuary to avoid the floods?
    I love the grebes BTW.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2007
  6. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Very nice shots Dave. I still hope to get over there soon and do some shooting.
    Do you still have the black swans wandering around?

Best regards
    Andy

7. love the crested grebe. never seen a bird like that, but as i am new 2 birding, they all are interesting. my home backs up to a park...goyne park and i have placed several bird feeders out to capture images with my new 300/2.8 with a 1.7 tc. will hopefully post some pics this weekend if they come out. thanks db

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very good images

Great to see ya again:>))

9. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    An interesting look in the first image. I really like that one!

10. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Great series

11. Yes by about 5 miles but it is a wetland area anyway :smile::smile:
    We did have a scare Tuesday afternoon when the water company threatened to cut off the mains water supply, this would have meant closing the centre as there would be no water for toilets, washing, the cafe etc. etc. However it did not happen in the end so the place is still open.

12. Thanks and there are lots of black swans at Slimbridge. If you can't get to Slimbridge remember WWT Llanelli is just as good:smile:.

13. You won't see a Great Crested Grebe in North America but there are other sorts of Grebes. Looking at my reference books:cool: I see you are not to far from (OK its about 150miles from you but...) the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge where you should see lots of wetland birds. Must be worth a weekend visit.