Birds from Viera and St-Augustine rookery

Discussion in 'Birds' started by daodang, Aug 27, 2005.

1. After several kicks at my b... and a word from my dear Florida lady friend, I finally postprocess some of my birds shots taken in last vacation.

Tricolor heron shot at St-Augustine's rookery
    ID please!!! (shot at St-Augustine's rookery)
    Egrets disputing a landing site (St-Augustine)
    Great white egret on the tree at the Viera entrance
    Same caracara as the one in Kevin's posts.
    The old mayor of Viera

2. Nice shots, Dao. From my field book, I believe the first one is a pair of wood storks. I've only been to Florida once and I haven't really seen these but I'm sure others will be able to verify if my ID is correct. Was this in the spring?

3. That must be some place Dao. You guys just keep turning out one great shot after another. I think #4 is my favorite.

4. Thanks for the kind words, Dennis. These pictures were taken in August.

5. Hi Gordon, our Central Florida members can tell you they have several birds sites within one to one and a half hour car reach. When I was there, I visited 5 places : St-Augustine rookery, Brevard zoo, DeLeon spring, Viera wetlands and the well known Merrit islands. Gale also mentionned Sebastian inlet NWR. Kevin has told me that Kissimmee lake (Orlando area) is also a good place to go. As you can see, they have so many opportunities to get greats bird shots, especially in winter I think since lots of northern species go south in winter.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice shots Dao, and yes, the dino-looking birds are wood storks. You are right about the available birds down in Florida. It is absolutely amazing. Wish we could get all of our bird shooters together for a couple of weeks there. :rolleyes:

7. Thanks, Frank. Florida sure is a great place to go. I'm in process to find and explore others locations in northern states like Maine and New Jersey. I already find two in Maine and try to convince my wife to go there for brief vacations since she is inclined to visit Kennebunkport area.

8. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent shots Dao. Looks like you hit most of our hot spots on your trip.

9. Man I got to visit that place one day!!!! Luv the first 2 but nice series Dao!

10. Hey I know that mayor. Great shots love the shots of the LGH and the wood storks in the tree glad you had fun down in FLA

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Dao

Those are wonderful..

Thanks for posting some from your trip

Your Caracara looks better than myine by a mile. I deleted them all :<(((

Oh well one day I will learn....maybe. :>))

Good to see you.
    Cheers Friend

12. Thanks, Harry. Like to be there every day to get the «right» moments and justify a 500mm. May be I should applied for a job at the Brevard wastewater treatment plant near the wetlands. :smile:

13. Keith, thanks a lot. You go down there in winter and I'm sure you will have plenty of bird pictures to bring home. More than that, a trip in mid-winter will help to go through the long winter season. With age, I find winter harder and harder to bear. :mad:

14. Thanks a lot for the appreciations, Mike. I had a lot of fun down in FLA with Gale and Kevin.

15. Gale, I'm sure you will learn faster than you think. Wish to live nearby to go shooting with you, Kevin and Harry more often.

With the leaves become yellowish, winter will come. I'm cheering, I'm cheering !!!! :Crunk: