Birds In Chile - Bird ID Help Needed

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bobhoge, Mar 27, 2005.

1. We spent the first two weeks of March on a small ship along the coast of Chile. I will post some photos soon, but I am having trouble identifying a few of the birds. Maybe Janet Zinn or someone else can help me.

I think this one might be a Patagonian Tyrant, can anyone confirm? Taken at Isla Chiloe, 43 degrees South.
    18374320-M.

I think this one is a Red-legged Cormorant, taken near Isla Mocha, 38 degrees south, again anyone confirm?
    18374099-M.
    and
    18374134-M.

I believe this is an Albatross, maybe a Shy Albatross, but others spotted Royal and Buller's Albatross. In any case it has a dark head unlike the Black-browed Albatross normally seen here. Taken near Isla Mocha.
    18374240-M.
    and
    18374174-M.
    and
    18374202-M.

Any idea what this shorebird is? Taken on Isla Clemente, 46 degrees South.
    18374080-M.

Many thanks for any help you can offer!!
    Bob

2. wow Bob, these are too tough for me, since I don't have a bird book for Chile...South America is so large and with so many species, every country has its own field guide! However, I can help with the seabirds, as those are covered in my Birds of Peru guide. The cormorant is a Red-legged Cormorant, and yes, the Albatross looks to be the Shy Albatross. The guide says to look for the diagnostic "thumbprint" on the leading under-edge of the wing...sure enough it is right there in your photo! Pretty cool!

As for the other two...I will see what I can figure out!

3. hmmm not much to go on for that first one, except I can tell you its definitely not a Patagonian Tyrant; a Tyrant is a flycatcher, this is not.

4. Hi Janet,

Many thanks for all the help. Three out of four really is amazing!

UPDATE: I SHOWED NAN THE FIRST ONE AND SHE SAYS IT IS A CHUCAO TAPACULO!! YEA!!

One of the naturalists on the ship was possibly the best birder I have traveled with. I have a copy of his bird list from the trip and am almost certain the first one is on his list.
    Possible candidates:
    Chucao Tapaculo
    Magellanic Tapaculo
    Thorn-tailed Rayadito
    Rufous-tailed Plantcutter

Unlikely but on the list:
    Tufted Tit-tyrant
    Fire-eyed Diucon
    Common Diuca-finch
    Patagonian Sierra-finch
    Rufous Collared Sparrow
    Chilean Swallow

PS Janet, I have about 20 more bird photos that I have identified on my own, so I am not asking you to do all the work! I will post them here soon for your enjoyment.
    Thanks again for all your help!
    Bob & Nan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.