Birds In Chile - Bird ID Help Needed

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bobhoge, Mar 27, 2005.

1. We spent the first two weeks of March on a small ship along the coast of Chile. I will post some photos soon, but I am having trouble identifying a few of the birds. Maybe Janet Zinn or someone else can help me.

I think this one might be a Patagonian Tyrant, can anyone confirm? Taken at Isla Chiloe, 43 degrees South.
    18374320-M.

I think this one is a Red-legged Cormorant, taken near Isla Mocha, 38 degrees south, again anyone confirm?
    18374099-M.
    and
    18374134-M.

I believe this is an Albatross, maybe a Shy Albatross, but others spotted Royal and Buller's Albatross. In any case it has a dark head unlike the Black-browed Albatross normally seen here. Taken near Isla Mocha.
    18374240-M.
    and
    18374174-M.
    and
    18374202-M.

Any idea what this shorebird is? Taken on Isla Clemente, 46 degrees South.
    18374080-M.

Many thanks for any help you can offer!!
    Bob

2. wow Bob, these are too tough for me, since I don't have a bird book for Chile...South America is so large and with so many species, every country has its own field guide! However, I can help with the seabirds, as those are covered in my Birds of Peru guide. The cormorant is a Red-legged Cormorant, and yes, the Albatross looks to be the Shy Albatross. The guide says to look for the diagnostic "thumbprint" on the leading under-edge of the wing...sure enough it is right there in your photo! Pretty cool!

As for the other two...I will see what I can figure out!

3. hmmm not much to go on for that first one, except I can tell you its definitely not a Patagonian Tyrant; a Tyrant is a flycatcher, this is not.

4. Hi Janet,

Many thanks for all the help. Three out of four really is amazing!

UPDATE: I SHOWED NAN THE FIRST ONE AND SHE SAYS IT IS A CHUCAO TAPACULO!! YEA!!

One of the naturalists on the ship was possibly the best birder I have traveled with. I have a copy of his bird list from the trip and am almost certain the first one is on his list.
    Possible candidates:
    Chucao Tapaculo
    Magellanic Tapaculo
    Thorn-tailed Rayadito
    Rufous-tailed Plantcutter

Unlikely but on the list:
    Tufted Tit-tyrant
    Fire-eyed Diucon
    Common Diuca-finch
    Patagonian Sierra-finch
    Rufous Collared Sparrow
    Chilean Swallow

PS Janet, I have about 20 more bird photos that I have identified on my own, so I am not asking you to do all the work! I will post them here soon for your enjoyment.
    Thanks again for all your help!
    Bob & Nan