Birds of Lake Norman

Discussion in 'Birds' started by DavidM, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Randy's already posted some great shots from the outing last week, but I thought I'd add a couple more.

This is similar to one of Randy's, but I liked how the wing feathers add a bit of "drama" to the icy look. Just wish I had stopped down a bit to get more in focus:
    original.

We were "buzzed" a couple times by Canadian Geese who were in the area:
    View attachment 92325

The overhead sun was a bit of a challenge, but it also meant that we got occasional "backlit feather" shots:
    View attachment 92326

At one point a rather large, uhm, hummingbird flew by us and whipped around to land on it's resting place. It was quite impressive, but I'm having a little trouble identifying the species:
    View attachment 92327

View attachment 92328

View attachment 92329

View attachment 92330

The rest of the shots can be found here: Lake Norman Birds

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2007
  2. Nice captures, David.

The last big bird is a Robinson R44. :biggrin:

3. Nice, with the in-flight goose Teriffic, I can almost hear him Honk!!!

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    David,

These are simply excellent. Some of the best birdy shots that I've seen lately. Keep it up old buddy. :smile:

5. Thanks, Phil. We speculated that the pilot was simply eating lunch at home that day. I guess he found a great way to beat the traffic in the area!

Thanks Gary!

High words coming from you, Frank. Trying to get out to shoot when I can...

6. the geese shot is a '10' david...awesome detail

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent David
    Great to see ya

8. David, I believe that the proper ID for the Big Bird, not to correct Phil, is RichGuyUs-BigBoyToyus-TooMuchMoneyUs. To bad you couldn't get it feeding. That, of course, is the scientific name. More commonly known as the "Wish I could Afford One", to heck with Don and his M series BMW :wink:

Nice set of pictures, strange that we are seeing so many darned Osprey and Geese this time of year ..... :smile:

9. Thanks Randy!

Always good to hear from you, Gale. Thanks for the comment!

Yep, seems there's quite a few folks at Lake Norman that lead significantly different lives than many of us... I understand that was only one of multiple lakefront properties with a helipad there. From what we could see, it was a shabby little 3-story bird's nest that it landed at, probably not worth more than $2-3mil (or so). Hardly worth the time to maintain, eh?

Imagine that... who'd have thought? :smile:

10. Love the "real" bird shots. ;-) Not much for helicopters, but nicely done.

Lil

11. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    You guys are killing me with these Osprey images! Wow!

12. David, an excellent series. The Osprey shots are beautiful, and the dark featherless bird is quite nice as well.

Louie

13. Thanks Louis!

I guess it's that time of year when they get a bit more photogenic, or at least accessible. That plus a little luck and "right place right time" helps a lot.

Thanks, Lil. The helicopter sighting was just a bit out of the ordinary (for me, anyway), and I only included it for the sake of a twisted sense of humor.

Although I will say that getting a sharp picture of just about anything while on a rocking boat can be satisfying!