Birds of Lake Norman

Randy's already posted some great shots from the outing last week, but I thought I'd add a couple more.

This is similar to one of Randy's, but I liked how the wing feathers add a bit of "drama" to the icy look. Just wish I had stopped down a bit to get more in focus:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

We were "buzzed" a couple times by Canadian Geese who were in the area:
View attachment 92325

The overhead sun was a bit of a challenge, but it also meant that we got occasional "backlit feather" shots:
View attachment 92326

At one point a rather large, uhm, hummingbird flew by us and whipped around to land on it's resting place. It was quite impressive, but I'm having a little trouble identifying the species:
View attachment 92327

View attachment 92328

View attachment 92329

View attachment 92330

The rest of the shots can be found here: Lake Norman Birds

Last edited by a moderator:
David,

These are simply excellent. Some of the best birdy shots that I've seen lately. Keep it up old buddy. :smile:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice captures, David.

The last big bird is a Robinson R44. :biggrin:
Thanks, Phil. We speculated that the pilot was simply eating lunch at home that day. I guess he found a great way to beat the traffic in the area!

Nice, with the in-flight goose Teriffic, I can almost hear him Honk!!!
Thanks Gary!

David,

These are simply excellent. Some of the best birdy shots that I've seen lately. Keep it up old buddy. :smile:
High words coming from you, Frank. Trying to get out to shoot when I can...

David, I believe that the proper ID for the Big Bird, not to correct Phil, is RichGuyUs-BigBoyToyus-TooMuchMoneyUs. To bad you couldn't get it feeding. That, of course, is the scientific name. More commonly known as the "Wish I could Afford One", to heck with Don and his M series BMW :wink:

Nice set of pictures, strange that we are seeing so many darned Osprey and Geese this time of year ..... :smile:

the geese shot is a '10' david...awesome detail
Thanks Randy!

Excellent David
Great to see ya
Always good to hear from you, Gale. Thanks for the comment!

David, I believe that the proper ID for the Big Bird, not to correct Phil, is RichGuyUs-BigBoyToyus-TooMuchMoneyUs. To bad you couldn't get it feeding. That, of course, is the scientific name. More commonly known as the "Wish I could Afford One", to heck with Don and his M series BMW :wink:
Yep, seems there's quite a few folks at Lake Norman that lead significantly different lives than many of us... I understand that was only one of multiple lakefront properties with a helipad there. From what we could see, it was a shabby little 3-story bird's nest that it landed at, probably not worth more than $2-3mil (or so). Hardly worth the time to maintain, eh?

Nice set of pictures, strange that we are seeing so many darned Osprey and Geese this time of year ..... :smile:
Imagine that... who'd have thought? :smile:

David, an excellent series. The Osprey shots are beautiful, and the dark featherless bird is quite nice as well.

Louie
Thanks Louis!

You guys are killing me with these Osprey images! Wow!
I guess it's that time of year when they get a bit more photogenic, or at least accessible. That plus a little luck and "right place right time" helps a lot.

Love the "real" bird shots. ;-) Not much for helicopters, but nicely done.

Lil
Thanks, Lil. The helicopter sighting was just a bit out of the ordinary (for me, anyway), and I only included it for the sake of a twisted sense of humor.

Although I will say that getting a sharp picture of just about anything while on a rocking boat can be satisfying!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom