Birds of Odessa

Discussion in 'Birds' started by PJohnP, Apr 26, 2007.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Another trip to Odessa in the Permian Basin of west Texas, and more birds to photograph over various evenings at sunset...

The first is something that I call Sunset Sushi.

[​IMG]

I had the opportunity to observe an immature BCNH

[​IMG]

A Great Blue Heron flew in for a visit, displacing the immature BCNH

[​IMG]

And then, there was the BCNH with the guilty look. Just as I arrived to shoot, a person watching nearby told me it had just **gasp** eaten a duckling a little while before. I didn't see it, but that mess around the beak was certainly odd...

[​IMG]
    D200, 200-400mm f/4 AFS/VR, various ISOs, processed in Nikon Capture, crop and copyright in PS-CS2

Always shoot.

John P.

2. Beautiful captures. There's always a charm over bird eating sushi pictures.
    The lighting in all of these are fantastic!

First one could maybe benefit of a contrast bump as it seems there's more natural back lighting than there is on the subject, and therefor you've probably gained some shadow levels aye?

3. jsch33

jsch33

Dec 27, 2006
    Surprise, AZ
    First one looks like its eyes are bigger than its stomach, like the color on the last one.

4. Super shots and a great time of day. All well done but #1 is my fav. Dusk and dawn make Texas a great place. When I was there I tried to avoid high noon.

5. John, you appear to out-doing yourself with these, AGAIN. Beautiful light to work with

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great light
    Beautiful images

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Alex :

Thanks for the kind words.

And yes, I've already made some shadow adjustments on the first shot. These kind of backlit photos offer some challenges, and as I didn't have the opportunity to use flash, adjustments were the order of the day in Nikon Capture.

John P.

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    John :

Yup, and yet, they do get them down into their gullet. However, I saw one on Sunday night regurgitate a truly enormous pellet, so they must have limits on this.

John P.

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Thanks for the kind words.

I actually very much enjoy my work in west Texas. There are a scad of great photo opportunities, truly nice people to meet (I invited one last night to join the Café), and I get my trips financed by work, so the costs are low to be in such a fun place.

And yes, the sunsets are magical. I've had some fine success other times here (see : Same old, same old...)

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Nick :

Says the guy with all of those really neat baby-bird-in-nest photos ! A high compliment, and thank you.

As for the light, I just have to remember to stop doing e-mail at sunset, and I just walk around and point my camera... :biggrin:

John P.

11. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gale :

Thanks for the kind comments.

John P.

12. Nice work John. The Odessa C of C could use your images to change their image from West Texas Dusty Oil Town to Birder's Paradise.

13. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    What a great series. The light is beautiful and you really took advantage of that! Vern nicely done.

14. John, these are terrific shots... I love the colours of the light. You really nailed the juvie NH in the second shot. I never knew that the BCNH were meat eaters! :Shocked: I thought they were only fish eaters.... learn something new each and every day.

Glad to see you're seeing some beauty in Odessa! :wink:

15. Beautiful light. Really great images.

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Outstanding shots John. Great work, and you really caught the beautiful light.

Well done. :smile:

17. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    Superb shots John!

18. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Very nicely done, John P!

A great caption on that last one would be something like,

Who Me? Nope, I didn't see no ducky....

Wade

19. Very nice captures. Great use of light.

20. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    When I saw these I couldn't help but quote Mike Myers from SNL. "Like buttah" Beautiful light! Great images!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.