Birds of Odessa

Another trip to Odessa in the Permian Basin of west Texas, and more birds to photograph over various evenings at sunset...

The first is something that I call Sunset Sushi.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I had the opportunity to observe an immature BCNH

A Great Blue Heron flew in for a visit, displacing the immature BCNH

And then, there was the BCNH with the guilty look. Just as I arrived to shoot, a person watching nearby told me it had just **gasp** eaten a duckling a little while before. I didn't see it, but that mess around the beak was certainly odd...

D200, 200-400mm f/4 AFS/VR, various ISOs, processed in Nikon Capture, crop and copyright in PS-CS2

Always shoot.

John P.

Beautiful captures. There's always a charm over bird eating sushi pictures.
The lighting in all of these are fantastic!

First one could maybe benefit of a contrast bump as it seems there's more natural back lighting than there is on the subject, and therefor you've probably gained some shadow levels aye?

Super shots and a great time of day. All well done but #1 is my fav. Dusk and dawn make Texas a great place. When I was there I tried to avoid high noon.

Beautiful captures. There's always a charm over bird eating sushi pictures.
The lighting in all of these are fantastic!

First one could maybe benefit of a contrast bump as it seems there's more natural back lighting than there is on the subject, and therefor you've probably gained some shadow levels aye?
Alex :

Thanks for the kind words.

And yes, I've already made some shadow adjustments on the first shot. These kind of backlit photos offer some challenges, and as I didn't have the opportunity to use flash, adjustments were the order of the day in Nikon Capture.

John P.

First one looks like its eyes are bigger than its stomach, like the color on the last one.
John :

Yup, and yet, they do get them down into their gullet. However, I saw one on Sunday night regurgitate a truly enormous pellet, so they must have limits on this.

John P.

Super shots and a great time of day. All well done but #1 is my fav. Dusk and dawn make Texas a great place. When I was there I tried to avoid high noon.
Thanks for the kind words.

I actually very much enjoy my work in west Texas. There are a scad of great photo opportunities, truly nice people to meet (I invited one last night to join the Café), and I get my trips financed by work, so the costs are low to be in such a fun place.

And yes, the sunsets are magical. I've had some fine success other times here (see : Same old, same old...)

John P.

Last edited by a moderator:
John, you appear to out-doing yourself with these, AGAIN. Beautiful light to work with
Nick :

Says the guy with all of those really neat baby-bird-in-nest photos ! A high compliment, and thank you.

As for the light, I just have to remember to stop doing e-mail at sunset, and I just walk around and point my camera... :biggrin:

John P.

What a great series. The light is beautiful and you really took advantage of that! Vern nicely done.

John, these are terrific shots... I love the colours of the light. You really nailed the juvie NH in the second shot. I never knew that the BCNH were meat eaters! :Shocked: I thought they were only fish eaters.... learn something new each and every day.

Glad to see you're seeing some beauty in Odessa! :wink:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Very nicely done, John P!

A great caption on that last one would be something like,

Who Me? Nope, I didn't see no ducky....

Wade

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom