Birds on the wing with the 80-200/Kenko 1.4x

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Uncle Frank, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Now that I passed up the chance to buy Keith's 300/4 :cry:, I decided to try the 80-200/Kenko 1.4x combo out on
    birds on the wing. The Merritt Island Gang made it look easy, but it isn't :?.

After fumbling with the monopod, I decided to try the Reznick Grip. I'm glad nobody was around, because I would
    have been embarrassed... but it works! It was a low yield process, but I actually got a few keepers. Here's a few
    of them for your viewing enjoyment. They're just gulls, but you've got to start somewhere, right?

View attachment 5757
    View attachment 5758
    View attachment 5759
    View attachment 5760

2. These are nice Frank with good exposure. I have tried the RR grip as well and will be posting a few glider shots off the cliffs above my house.

3. Look good

Frank
    I know hat you mean when I got down Merritt I had little experience shooting flying or as I no know them "incoming" birds. It is not an easy as at all. I think the one thing that helps is practice practice and more practice.
    I shoot with a small ballhead on my monopd which makes panning a little easier don't know if you use one but just a thought. Of course you can get a gitzo pod with markins head a wimberly sidekick and then you would be cooking with gas, for now a $ 20.00 bogen ballhead on a $5.00 tripod I bought at a yard sale!

4. The gulls I was shooting were overhead, Mike, so the monopod was more of a liability than an aid. The Reznick Grip was a lifesaver.

5. Will have to update webster soon with somenew words Reznick grip and the Reznic flip! :lol:

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Frank,

Like someone else said, the key to shooting the flying birdies is lots of practice, and Gulls are great practice targets. Keep this up and you'll be challenging the current flying birdie master (Harris) in no time.... :lol:

Frank

7. No way. He's out-geared me by an order of magnitude. Plus, he learned the Grip directly from Reznick.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    LOL.... :p