Birger is a GENIUS!!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Donzo98, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I tried Birger's fix for the 18-200's CREEP problem. I am so happy now... I hated that damn creep. Works perfectly!! :biggrin:

Here is his thread. https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=108172

BTW... the length of the first barrel (the one that needs covering is 30mm).

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. On my first 18-200vr, I used black electrical tape to stop the creep. This tape had a sheen similar to the finish on the lens barrel.
    I didn't own my 2nd one long enough to get around to fixing its creep.
    I'm now on my third 18-200vr and this one is as solid as a rock-- absolutely no creep and it doesn't appear likely to happen.
    And I finally lucked into a sharp copy with this third lens, so now I understand what all the hoopla is about!:smile:

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well he used to be a rocket scientist:>)))))

4. And Donzo's a brain surgeon!

5. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Donzo,
    What kind of tape did you use and where get it? Gaffer tape?

6. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY

Got it at Berger Brothers.... gaffer tape.:biggrin:

7. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Gaffer tape. The same stuff they used in the first Star Wars movie for Princess Leia because George Lucas said there are no bras in space.

8. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    I would have put it on the bottom... so I would not have seen it...

Would it work?

9. Cool! I'm going to give that a go tomorrow.

Thanks Birger and Don

10. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I thought about that... I might redo it. I have 30 yards of tape and I only used 2 inches of it. :biggrin: :biggrin:

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

12. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Don,
    You should put that gaffer tape up for sale and sell it by the inch. You could make enough to buy a new lens...I wonder if 'gaffer tape' will stop any other things from creeping?

How did it get that name??? :)
    Mr Gaffer must have invented it??

13. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    You did. Look at his pic. He used only a 1 inch piece.

14. JoeG

JoeG

Nov 2, 2006
    Tyrol, Austria
    good solution!

but: do you have two filters on this lens?

15. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

16. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    No... I have a 72-77mm step up ring and a UV filter.

17. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I put the tape on the bottom today... just so I wouldn't see it (as suggested in another post). Here is what it looks like now. The tape I took I off left no residue as expected.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  18. Gaye,

In the movie/theatre biz, the gaffer is in charge of lighting and electrical matters on a set. Gaffer tape is basically electrical tape with a flat finish so that it won't reflect the light. If you don't have a good camera store nearby or aren't placing a larger order from one by mail/internet, you could use what's known as friction tape available next to regular electrical tape at your hardware store. Some brands of friction tape also have a non-reflective finish.

19. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Good explanation Tosh, not everyone would know that one.

I happen to know a Gaffer myself. He's done a lot of movies, TV and such. Perhaps one of the most notable ones was the Ghost and the Darkness, with Val Kilmer and Michael Douglas. I think he's in semi-retirement now anyway and just does enough jobs a year to keep his license/insurance.

His ID on my A/V site used to be "Gaffer". I could probably ask Bob if he had any spare Gaffer's tape, he'd probably send me a case, lol.

So far, I haven't had to use any support for my 18-200VR.

20. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Doug... If you turn your lens upside down when it is at 50mm does it creep?? My creep was not that bad... but enough to be a pain at times.