Birger is a GENIUS!!

I tried Birger's fix for the 18-200's CREEP problem. I am so happy now... I hated that damn creep. Works perfectly!! :biggrin:

Here is his thread. https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=108172

BTW... the length of the first barrel (the one that needs covering is 30mm).

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
On my first 18-200vr, I used black electrical tape to stop the creep. This tape had a sheen similar to the finish on the lens barrel.
I didn't own my 2nd one long enough to get around to fixing its creep.
I'm now on my third 18-200vr and this one is as solid as a rock-- absolutely no creep and it doesn't appear likely to happen.
And I finally lucked into a sharp copy with this third lens, so now I understand what all the hoopla is about!:smile:

Real Name
William Beem
Gaffer tape. The same stuff they used in the first Star Wars movie for Princess Leia because George Lucas said there are no bras in space.

Don,
You should put that gaffer tape up for sale and sell it by the inch. You could make enough to buy a new lens...I wonder if 'gaffer tape' will stop any other things from creeping?

How did it get that name??? :)
Mr Gaffer must have invented it??

Was amused to read Birger's post about his fix - "gaffer's tape" wins the day. Thanks for the pics I had understood you were intended to almost do a complete circuit of that barrel but maybe I mis-read his post?
You did. Look at his pic. He used only a 1 inch piece.

I tried Birger's fix for the 18-200's CREEP problem. I am so happy now... I hated that damn creep. Works perfectly!! :biggrin:

Here is his thread. https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=108172

BTW... the length of the first barrel (the one that needs covering is 30mm).

I put the tape on the bottom today... just so I wouldn't see it (as suggested in another post). Here is what it looks like now. The tape I took I off left no residue as expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don,
You should put that gaffer tape up for sale and sell it by the inch. You could make enough to buy a new lens...I wonder if 'gaffer tape' will stop any other things from creeping?

How did it get that name??? :)
Mr Gaffer must have invented it??
Gaye,

In the movie/theatre biz, the gaffer is in charge of lighting and electrical matters on a set. Gaffer tape is basically electrical tape with a flat finish so that it won't reflect the light. If you don't have a good camera store nearby or aren't placing a larger order from one by mail/internet, you could use what's known as friction tape available next to regular electrical tape at your hardware store. Some brands of friction tape also have a non-reflective finish.

Good explanation Tosh, not everyone would know that one.

I happen to know a Gaffer myself. He's done a lot of movies, TV and such. Perhaps one of the most notable ones was the Ghost and the Darkness, with Val Kilmer and Michael Douglas. I think he's in semi-retirement now anyway and just does enough jobs a year to keep his license/insurance.

His ID on my A/V site used to be "Gaffer". I could probably ask Bob if he had any spare Gaffer's tape, he'd probably send me a case, lol.

So far, I haven't had to use any support for my 18-200VR.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom