Birthday #6

Discussion in 'People' started by Pa, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Not great photography, but I'm pleased with the moment it captured. My grandson opens presents at his 6th birthday party:

[​IMG]

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Pa,
    Looks like he had a WONDERFUL birthday! I just love kids and parties....they can't seem to tear through the paper fast enough! Nice memory you captured there.

3. What a line up of friends Pa, it looks like they are all pretty interested in the gifts. Looks like a good time was had by all.

4. Thanks for the nice comments.

If anyone sees a way this could be improved in PS, please say so.

5. Since you ask...

I cropped it a little tighter. The white balance seemed off to me, so I adjusted it in Photoshop's levels menu by clicking the gray eyedropper on stuff that should have been gray. Then I selectively brightened a few faces, and cloned out some distracting stuff in the background. Here's my revised version for comparison.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Great shot Pa

Love the intensity of all the kids watching! Good touchup too, Frank. I didn't notice how cool it looked until I saw your revised version.

7. Thanks, Frank. That is an improvement. Since I was away from home I had to edit on my laptop, so wasn't able to judge the colors as well. The additional cropping helps, too.

I generally use curves to set the white balance, using the black and highlight droppers to set the endpoints. I often have trouble with the grey dropper, however, as it is very difficult to find true grey in some images. Your choice is very good.