Bison at Yellowstone, Vulture at Badlands

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Nacho, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Hi Folks:

From my recent visit to Yellowstone National Park, a Bison that was just by the side of the road. I know, the shot is pretty static, and does not convey a sense of "wildlife" but... I'm not a wildlife/nature photographer and have a ton to learn about shooting those subjects:

[​IMG]

I was able to get pretty close, but another guy there was almost able to pet the Bison! Silly, these animals do charge. Shot with the D300 and 35-70mm 2.8D.

The next one is of a vulture in one of the jagged peaks of the Badlands. I was pretty far away, in my car, when I noticed it. I took it with a 70-300mm f/4-5.6G (non-VR version), knowing it would not be a great shot, but I had to try. Hard to handhold that lens at 300mm. So, just for documentation purposes:

[​IMG]

Make it a good day,

Nacho :smile:

2. I think you caught the bison very well, with the shedding of the winter coat & it looking towards the camera.

3. i like the bison shot, a lot
    he, on the other hand, doesn't look so THRILLED to be in your picture :wink: :biggrin:

4. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Thanks Kim, and Thanks Greg! I do like the Bison, and agree with you Greg, he was a bit annoyed that folks were milling about taking shots!

Kim, thanks! We also came across a Grizzly, close, but he just did not feel like posing! : )

Thanks,

Nacho