1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Bison at Yellowstone, Vulture at Badlands

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Nacho, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Hi Folks:

From my recent visit to Yellowstone National Park, a Bison that was just by the side of the road. I know, the shot is pretty static, and does not convey a sense of "wildlife" but... I'm not a wildlife/nature photographer and have a ton to learn about shooting those subjects:

[​IMG]

I was able to get pretty close, but another guy there was almost able to pet the Bison! Silly, these animals do charge. Shot with the D300 and 35-70mm 2.8D.

The next one is of a vulture in one of the jagged peaks of the Badlands. I was pretty far away, in my car, when I noticed it. I took it with a 70-300mm f/4-5.6G (non-VR version), knowing it would not be a great shot, but I had to try. Hard to handhold that lens at 300mm. So, just for documentation purposes:

[​IMG]

Make it a good day,

Nacho :smile:

2. I think you caught the bison very well, with the shedding of the winter coat & it looking towards the camera.

3. i like the bison shot, a lot
    he, on the other hand, doesn't look so THRILLED to be in your picture :wink: :biggrin:

4. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Thanks Kim, and Thanks Greg! I do like the Bison, and agree with you Greg, he was a bit annoyed that folks were milling about taking shots!

Kim, thanks! We also came across a Grizzly, close, but he just did not feel like posing! : )

Thanks,

Nacho

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.