Bisti / De-Na-Zin Wilderness (New Mexico)

I had the good fortune to meet up with a Navajo guide recently to go on a photo trek into this very remote area on tribal land. Stunning, other-worldly landscapes would appear amid arid and barren grazing land. I can't wait to go back down there again. Here are several snaps to give you an idea of the place.

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Fascinating images, Eric! I was born in New Mexico and love to visit that part of our country. You did a fine job of creating these images!

Thanks, everyone, for having a look and for your kind comments. I think that my fave is the 1st, which is known as the "Alien Throne". Many of the others were taken in the "Valley of Dreams". Should anyone actually wish to know how to contact my Navajo guide, just use the Café's conversation feature and I'll be glad to oblige.

Excellent photos of a fantastic place, Eric. These just reinforce my desire to get there some day.
What a great place and a wonderful series of images, I want to go there too now!
What an amazing part of the country down there, I'm with Andreas I want to visit that area too. Well done with the shots.

Folks, let's don't publicize this place too widely or we'll have hordes of people showing up there like at other iconic sites.

Real Name
Randy
incredible scenery and even more amazing photography, you nailed these, awesome set !!!

Folks, let's don't publicize this place too widely or we'll have hordes of people showing up there like at other iconic sites.
I’ve been there and it isn’t for the feint of heart. The landscape is rugged and it is very easy to get lost out there. Using the Navajo guide sounds like a good approach.

I happened to meet up with a couple from Holland in the parking area. They seemed to know what they were doing...although they relied heavily on GPS. They were kind enough to let me tag along. At one point, we were four miles out or so and they asked me if I was OK going further out. I certainly didn’t want to be the reason for them to shorten their hike and I would never have been able to find my way back—so I continued the hike with a lot of photo gear on my back!

Glenn

I’ve been there and it isn’t for the feint of heart. The landscape is rugged and it is very easy to get lost out there. Using the Navajo guide sounds like a good approach.

I happened to meet up with a couple from Holland in the parking area. They seemed to know what they were doing...although they relied heavily on GPS. They were kind enough to let me tag along. At one point, we were four miles out or so and they asked me if I was OK going further out. I certainly didn’t want to be the reason for them to shorten their hike and I would never have been able to find my way back—so I continued the hike with a lot of photo gear on my back!

Glenn

I had heard that it was easy to get lost. Do you think you could have found your way back with a GPS track? I agree that a guide sounds like a great idea, not just to get you back, but also to find the most interesting formations.

It's funny how Europeans find their way to places like this. A few years ago we were exploring a slot canyon near the AZ-UT line. There were a few other people in there but they were all speaking either French or German.

I had heard that it was easy to get lost. Do you think you could have found your way back with a GPS track? I agree that a guide sounds like a great idea, not just to get you back, but also to find the most interesting formations.

It's funny how Europeans find their way to places like this. A few years ago we were exploring a slot canyon near the AZ-UT line. There were a few other people in there but they were all speaking either French or German.
I think I could have found my way back with a GPS unit. I always worry that the unit will fail or there will be an issue with the battery.

The couple I went with had a map with all of the areas of interest highlighted on the GPS device. If I recall, they were using an iPad.

Glenn

I have been there //you need a gps or you will get lost ...
Those places are unique and very well known by Europeans ...Lots of travel forum ( in French ) are talking about those places ...you can also add : Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah wilderness

Latest threads

Top Bottom