Bit of Moon shooting, D700 vs D7200, no contest

In the freezing cold tonight I noticed that the Moon was quite bright and decided to test the D700.
I only have a (relatively) cheap 500mm f/8 mirror lens.
It is quite fun and with Liveview it was not too difficult to get it as sharp as it could manage.
Then I decided to compare what the D7200 could do with the same lens.
Here are both pix SOC.
View attachment 1655120 View attachment 1655121

Real Name
Andy
Very nice. That Reflex-Nikkor 500mm f/8 is quite an interesting optic. Kind of like a telescope, but still a camera lens. I had one for a long time, but finally let it go a couple years ago. As you know, if you take the time to put it on a tripod and nail the focus, it is capable of surprisingly good results. I wish I had kept mine around long enough to try it with an IBIS body. I bet you can have great fun with that lens if you attach a Z6 or Z7 to it.

JLH

Big difference between those two cameras in this situation. I have a Sigma 600mm F8 reflex lens that I have held on to for years just because it can be interesting in certain situations. I can't say I use it very much but do get it out at times for fun. It looks like new but on the used market it has little value. This type lens was a fad at one point. I actually use it more with a "LensToScope" adapter on it. After seeing these photos I think I will haul it out and try my own moon shots.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Impressive results Morty.

I shoot the moon best, when it shows up at daytime in a blue sky.
The contrast is better than an the light metering is easier.

Perhaps you'll give it a try.

Kind regards
Klaus

You really cannot tell anything useful comparing these 2 images.
Different iso, different exposures. Way too many variables.
Then size them at low resolution for the web in an uncontrolled viewing environment and you really have nothing stable to compare.
Yup it is the moon. It is bigger with the 7200.
Gary

Impressive results Morty.

I shoot the moon best, when it shows up at daytime in a blue sky.
The contrast is better than an the light metering is easier.

Perhaps you'll give it a try.

Kind regards
Klaus
yes that's a good idea,
The weather has been terrible or cloudy for the past week here in London, I am going to the Alps this week for 10 days and will take the 500mm lens but most probably the D700 and leave the D7200 behind.

You really cannot tell anything useful comparing these 2 images.
Different iso, different exposures. Way too many variables.
Then size them at low resolution for the web in an uncontrolled viewing environment and you really have nothing stable to compare.
Yup it is the moon. It is bigger with the 7200.
Gary
Yes quite true,
They have different base ISO, which is what I am shooting at.
If I boost the D7200 to ISO 200 or lower the D700 to ISO 100 then they would no longer be at base ISO, so this will never be a like to like comparison.
I did not expect the D7200 to be able to capture so much more details than the D700.
I will see if I can equalize tonight, weather permitting.

First, something is going on in exposure more than iso. d700 is iso 200, 1/320. d7200 is iso 100, 1/250. Should be 1/160 to keep exposure the same. So the d7200 is letting in more light, yet the dark tones are darker?? It looks like processing is different, even if it is in camera processing. Tones are different, sharpening is different.

But, even allowing for this, it is somewhat like comparing dump trucks and pickup trucks.
One is a crop sensor 24 mp. I know my sony a7riv is 61mp in full frame, 26mp in crop mode- so roughly the sensor in the 7200 is like having a full frame sensor of about 60mp.
The d700 is a full frame camera with 12 mp.
At base iso, static subject, I would expect the higher mp sensor to be capable of showing more detail.
But you could try other experiments, like shooting at high iso, or getting shallow depth of field on a 1.4 lens where the d700 would shine over the crop sensor.
Please, experiment away. I just am trying to keep someone from reading this and thinking the d7200 is a better camera than the d700. It depends on the useage. I know several pro wedding photographers that would not let you pry the d700 out of their hands. I know of none using the d7200.
They are just different machines, with different strengths.
Gary

Yes it makes sense to me,
My immediate challenge is that I am going on holiday in the alps where I can only take one camera with me.
I will take pictures of kids skiing, landscape, stars, the mount blanc...
I was determined to take the D700. My shortlist is D700, D7200, Bronica ETRSi.

Tough decision, I know I would at times want whichever one I left at home.
You have made your choice easier if you are taking pictures of the moon.
Good luck
Gary
Thanks,

You know what, I will eschew pictures of the moon for now, as there will be nothing of interest that week.
I might be lucky with the Galactic Center, depending on the mountains as max elevation is ~16 degrees.
No meteor showers. No eclipse.
I am using PhotoPills and this enables me to narrow down my options.
Nikon D7200 stays at home.
Nikon D700 comes with me, I really really want a medium format camera and will see if I can fit the Bronica or I take a GB Kershaw (foldable).
I know no matter what I take with me I will regret leaving gear behind.
It means I can leave my 500mm mirror behind too.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom