Bit streaming

I am buying a new HDTV LED for my bedroom and I want to hook it up to the Internet for Netflix bit streaming. It is a couple of rooms removed from my computer so an ethernet cable would not work. I have a Blu Ray player that is WIFI compatible and so I am sure that is the way to go. My WIFI is a Lynksys 2.4 GHz 502.11b model (which I could upgrade if necessary). My question has to do with the adapter that I need to buy, i.e., which one and/or type should I buy?? For those that have such a setup, does it work satisfactorily? My computer is in a room at one end of my house and there is a good sized family room and living room between the new TV and my computer.

I already have a Blu Ray player and TV in my family room that is hooked up to my computer via ethernet cable and I am in hopes that this WIFI hookup in our bedroom will work well also. Thanks in advance for any help or advise you might share with me.

No expert here, Gordon, but if it's wi-fi, why would you need an adapter (assuming you have wi-fi in your house). I have a wi-fi blue ray and it links up with my wi-fi, no extra hardware required.

My WIFI is a Lynksys 2.4 GHz 502.11b model (which I could upgrade if necessary).

If the involved units include wi-fi, no other adapter should be necessary. They all communicate via radio.

However, the one glaring thing - I feel certain you must replace your old b router (or if the first is dedicated in any way, you can simply add a second router to provide wireless) with one capable of 802.11n.

802.11b is quite old, quite slow, and quite limited in distance range.

802.11g is old now, not much faster, and limited in distance range.

802.11n is the new stuff, greatly faster, and greatly more distance range.

b may work in the same room if you sit close enough, but n should work fine anywhere in the house. You will need a n router.

I feel certain that any new equipment (TV or Bluray or cell phone) which includes wireless will have n today, and your router needs to have n to match it.

I don't think I'd use wifi in this scenario. I'd get a powerline network adapter. That'll give you a more consistent connection and avoid some of the interference issues you may have with wifi.

No expert here, Gordon, but if it's wi-fi, why would you need an adapter (assuming you have wi-fi in your house). I have a wi-fi blue ray and it links up with my wi-fi, no extra hardware required.

My current Blu Ray is Wifi ready but does not have it built in. I can use this on my current setup with the ethernet cable. I will be sure and buy one with built in WIFI. Thanks.

If the involved units include wi-fi, no other adapter should be necessary. They all communicate via radio.

However, the one glaring thing - I feel certain you must replace your old b router (or if the first is dedicated in any way, you can simply add a second router to provide wireless) with one capable of 802.11n.

802.11b is quite old, quite slow, and quite limited in distance range.

802.11g is old now, not much faster, and limited in distance range.

802.11n is the new stuff, greatly faster, and greatly more distance range.

b may work in the same room if you sit close enough, but n should work fine anywhere in the house. You will need a n router.

I feel certain that any new equipment (TV or Bluray or cell phone) which includes wireless will have n today, and your router needs to have n to match it.

Hi Wayne, thanks for the good information. My Lynksys is quite old and I am sure it would be good to update it. I appreciate the listing and information of the various router models. I will buy the 802.11n.

If you're going to do media streaming, and depending on what other devices you have - a simultaneous dual-band router is the right choice. This will allow you to stream your video on a different frequency than the rest of your internet traffic. This makes a big difference in practice.

However, I'd still be doing powerline in your scenario, I think.

If you're going to do media streaming, and depending on what other devices you have - a simultaneous dual-band router is the right choice. This will allow you to stream your video on a different frequency than the rest of your internet traffic. This makes a big difference in practice.

However, I'd still be doing powerline in your scenario, I think.

I am not a gamer and my wife and I live alone so competing with other Internet traffic is not a major problem. I do hear you about the dual-band and have been reading up on that. Thanks.

Gordon, Cat5e will work. You can run it 300 ft. without a problem
Or
Is the problem fishing the wire?

Cat5e would definitely be the way to go but I am getting a little old to be working up in the attic fishing wires. I can get a decent Netflix feed to my iPad in the bedroom and that is with my 802.11b so I am thinking this may not be a huge problem. I am going over to Best Buy now to discuss this with a tech (if I can find one). I have to make a decision within the week so I am trying to get my ducks in a row. Thanks for your help and who knows I may yet go Cat5e if I can't find a good alternative.

***UPDATE***

This is just to thank all of you for your input. After going to Best Buy and then doing further research on line I ended up buying a new Linksys E2500 simultaneous dual band N router. I think this will serve me well and I got it for a good price at Amazon. The E2500 N router is the very newest of their mid priced routers and was the same price as their E2000n router which it will replace. The difference is the simultaneous dual band and the looks have been upgraded some. The price for the E2000 at Best Buy was $89.00 and at Amazon I got the E2500 for $79.00.

While I was at it I bought the LG BD670 3D Blu Ray player at Amazon and it was $40 less than the same unit at Best Buy. Shipping was free from Amazon so all in all I saved $50 over a similar purchases at Best Buy. Now I just hope it all works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom