BKT in D700?

Real Name
Mike
When I take long-exposure night images for HDR, I set the D700 to manual, set the aperture for my desired depth of field, and adjust the shutter speed for each shot. I start with the longest duration shutter speed first to give me +2EV, and work down to the fastest shutter speed to give me -2EV.

I have mine setup so that I customize a button to be my Bracket button. I can give you more information later tonight (posting from work), unless someone reading this has their camera handy, But if you go to the 'Custom Settings" menu, you can customize what all your buttons do.

When you look at the front of the camera, (i.e. down the lens) just to the left of the lens mount, but before the hand grip, there are two black buttons. I have the top one disabled, but I have the bottom set to Bracket. This way I can push this button and toggle the thumb dial, to my desired number of shots and the forward "shutter" dial to adjust the EV/Stops.

Just make sure you remember that you need to dial it back when your done :biggrin:

Mike66 - "I start with the longest duration shutter speed first to give me +2EV" - What is +2EV? Is this something like exposure compensation? Or...

Scottn_photo - "This way I can push this button and toggle the thumb dial, to my desired number of shots and the forward "shutter" dial to adjust the EV/Stops." - I need to pushed once or pushed continuously?

Julien - Thanks! I read it but it is not so clear.

SWLD - -2 and +2 is not available in my camera. I have just +1 -1

Thanks to all of you!

-2 and +2 is not available in my camera. I have just +1 -1
Yes, but you could still reassign the FN or Preview button to avoid using the BKT button, then use CL or CH to give a 3-shot bracketed burst handheld (-1/0/+1).

Real Name
Mike
Mike66 - "I start with the longest duration shutter speed first to give me +2EV" - What is +2EV? Is this something like exposure compensation? Or...
I should have been more clear. I set the shutter speed so the meter indicates two full stops of overexposure for the first image. Then I reduce the shutter speed by half to give one full stop of overexposure. Halve the shutter speed again for good exposure. Halve it again for one stop of under exposure. Halve it again for two stops of underexposure.

If the slowest shutter speed is 1/60 or faster, then I put the camera in Aperture Priority, select the desired aperture, set the shutter release mode to CH (continuous high), use the camera's built-in bracketing feature to select the number of bracketed shots, and press the shutter release.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom