Critique Black and White Conversion question

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I sure hope I have time tonight to look at this thread and study what some of you have done. I’m very grateful. I spent three hours caring for my mom as well as worked today so I have only been able to look briefly at all the posts. Thank you all for being so helpful and kind.

I just had a fun hour playing around with the image. I tried Mike's, Andy's, and John's recipes adjusting as I went to what I liked. Here are my results.

First, using Mike's ideas. I left the bright spot on the nose. I like it. I learned some new things about using the color filters using Mikes instructions. It was most helpful.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Next, using Andy's quick and easy instructions on the B&W filter in Lightroom. This was most familiar to me as I was able to use the other tools to change other areas of the image besides the face.

Finally, I used John's technique. This was the most complicated. John must be a photoshop master!! I learned a lot and had fun trying to figure out what he was suggesting.

I did not try to make my results match, but I think they are all pretty close. I am happy with them all. My results don't match either Mike's or John's so I guess I made it my own. The one thing that still bother's me with mine are the fact that the arm is quite dark. (It was in the shade). But it is getting late so figuring that out will be a project for another night. This made me realize how much I have to learn. It sure was fun trying all three techniques.

Little more like the last light of day falling on her. Used the black to white gradient map on my prior image and then a curve adjutment where I lifted the black point up (input 0 output 43) and then the midpoint down and to the right (input 152 and output 111) The white point stayed at 255/255. Put a little haze/lowers the black contrast.

View attachment 1671961
My goodness, John. You are quite the photoshop master!! It does look like a nighttime shot.

The one thing that still bother's me with mine are the fact that the arm is quite dark. (It was in the shade).
Simply select it using whatever technique you want and make it brighter. When using Silver Efex Pro, you would use a few control points set to the same setting. Notice that once you've created a control point, you can duplicate it. Once you've created multiple control points, you can link them. Once you've done that, adjusting the setting on one of them automatically makes the same adjustment on all of them.

By the way, at least Viveza and Color Efex in the Nik Collection also have control points. Perhaps also other programs in that suite.

It sure was fun trying all three techniques.
Heck, if I had known how quickly you catch on to this stuff (I'm not nearly so quick at learning software), I wouldn't have taken the time to hold your hand. :ROFLMAO:

Simply select it using whatever technique you want and make it brighter. When using Silver Efex Pro, you would use a few control points set to the same setting. Notice that once you've created a control point, you can duplicate it. Once you've created multiple control points, you can link them. Once you've done that, adjusting the setting on one of them automatically makes the same adjustment on all of them.

By the way, at least Viveza and Color Efex in the Nik Collection also have control points. Perhaps also other programs in that suite.

Heck, if I had known how quickly you catch on to this stuff (I'm not nearly so quick at learning software), I wouldn't have taken the time to hold your hand. :ROFLMAO:
Your detailed instructions were so helpful!! Thank you again!!

I just shared this photo in the October meme but thought I would share here for help and opinions. That project is more for prime lens shooting.

I'm testing out Silver EFEX pro for possible purchase. I haven't done many black and white conversions in the past. I love color but would also like to learn black and white processing. I did this image last night and would love critique on my conversion.

She has very white hair and tan skin. But I'm wondering if I got her face too dark.
I like them both.
A slight preference to the colour version, purely because her right shoulder/top arm is more distinct and detailed.
in the B&W it seems to be overexposed.

Consider converting a photo of the children wearing brightly colored and patterned clothes that look cute (because that's what kids that age wear) but from a photographer's point of view distract from their faces. Converting to monochrome will minimize if not eliminate the effect of the distracting characteristics.
I agree.

My favorite photographs are the un-posed ones I take of people. I believe the "eyes are the window to the soul" and try to eliminate anything that distracts from them. I much prefer the B&W versions of the OP's photo. In the color version I first notice the eyes, but am quickly drawn to the colors in the ice-cream container. My people photography tends to be in B&W, possibly because I started when B&W was the only option and family members and friends were the only available subjects.

I don't do conversions to monochrome. Two of my cameras are monochrome-only and, absent the Bayer Array, produce images that are perfect for scenes that haves lots of detail, tones, and textures. I live in an area with lots of old historic buildings and B&W is ideal for them. Like others here I process in Silver Efex Pro. Even without any color data to work with it has brightness, contrast, and structure tools not found in other programs.

Now that we've discussed reasons why to convert photos of those cute children wearing colorful, patterned clothes to black and white, I'd like to introduce a reason why to leave those photos in color: because we want to remember those children wearing those cute clothes that just loved wearing. So, in my mind, the only solution is to photograph them in color and convert some of them but not all of them to monochrome.

Now that we've discussed reasons why to convert photos of those cute children wearing colorful, patterned clothes to black and white, I'd like to introduce a reason why to leave those photos in color: because we want to remember those children wearing those cute clothes that just loved wearing. So, in my mind, the only solution is to photograph them in color and convert some of them but not all of them to monochrome.
I agree!

The other day I shot a neighbor's fun Hallowe'en display and when I was in the computer with it, decided that it would be better in B&W because even though the background wasn't particularly busy, I found the colors distracting enough that they detracted from my primary subject. In addition, the subject itself rather was more suited to B&W anyway...... [ETA: That image, along with another B&W one, is now included in my Week 42 post as I'm wrapping up the week just past and preparing to move into Week 43.]

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom