Black and White Heron

At least I think it's a Heron. Never liked this one all that well in color, so thought I'd try SEP on it (version one - haven't yet upgraded). I'd appreciate any thoughts/feedback:

1211808898_yEJjt-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nice shot. it's a Green Heron.
Thanks Alex. I wondered if it was a Green Heron, but we mostly only see GBH's around here.

Looks excellent Scott! Nice contrast, sharpness & positioning!

Thanks Steve - I appreciate the comment!

Beautiful shot! The plain background and selective focusing really draws attention to the subject which is razor sharp.

Thanks kindly, Alan!

I really love this...what type of contrast is that? It looks different than the usual contrast adjustments.

Lovely bokeh too!

I really love this...what type of contrast is that? It looks different than the usual contrast adjustments.

Lovely bokeh too!

Thanks very much!

The contrast is different, I agree. The original was strongly back-lit, and it was a somewhat hazy day, as I recall. So I started with the "High Structure" preset in Silver Efex Pro, and went from there. I used a control point on the Heron, to enhance the contrast there too. I also tweaked the base paper tone, pushing it a bit bluer.

In the original color version, the back-lit bird was very flat in contrast, which is why I didn't really warm up to the color version.

I love the way the plant fans out around him. Nice shot!

Agree, fantastic catch, needs to be printed! :cool:

Thanks to you both!

That brings up a question: Has anyone found a good lab for B&W prints? Seems like they want to print on color paper now. Maybe that's just how things have progressed, but not what I expected. I'd love to get my digital B&W images printed on actual B&W paper, if there's a lab out there that still does that. Thoughts?

Latest threads

Top Bottom