Black and white with a little natural light

Discussion in 'People' started by bwilder10h, Mar 31, 2007.

1. I typically shy away from black and whites because the conversion process frustrates me and I usually end up with a dull image that ends up in the rectangular bin. This one works for me though... thoughts?

I'm open to suggestions on a good ps plugin (that doesn't take a month to figure out) or a tutorial on a B&W conversion for CS2. :cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  2. I like it very much.
    Good use of highlights and shadows
    I normally don't like B&W that much, but I like this one.

Greg

3. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Nice, Brian. Clone in that upper right corner though...

Love the tone and mood of this one. How many more weeks?

My B/W Process technique is as follows.

I use the one of two methods. First, use a channel mixer layer and adjust to taste..then add a selective color layer over that and adjust the blacks, neutrals and whites to taste.

Either that or convert to labmode, select the L Channel (luminosity) and then convert to greyscale...then back to RGB. Then add a selective color layer to dial in the tones...Select the White, neutral and black colors, and use the Black adjustment slider to finetune the tones. Thats the way I do it...it works out fine.

4. Greg, thanks for the comment. This was just a test because this type of shot is new for me. I hope to try the real thing soon... gotta couple wardrobe issues to overcome. :rolleyes:

Thanks Josh. I didn't even notice the corner... fixed. :smile:

John, I'll have to check that out... O.H__I.O!!!

5. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

BTW, whatever you did..worked out well. This BW is great.

6. Brian,

I could teach you some body slimming techniques in PS!

Greg

7. I'm not touching that... :tongue:

8. Beautifully strong photograph. I love it.

I also use Fred Miranda's B+W Workflow Pro and it works very well. You can see pictures I took yesterday right here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. Brian beautiful photograph you should be proud of, great conversion too.keep them coming.

10. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Beautiful Brian. I absolutely love it. Man.......this is a wall hanger if ever there was one. Great work!

11. 1FASTZ

1FASTZ

Jan 25, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Brian, I think you did a great job with the conversion. Great capture!!!

12. I really like it. Excellent BW work.

13. A touching image Brian........... beautifully shot and converted...........

Cool lighting!

G

14. Stu, Thanks... the wife wants to do a bunch of black and whites for the boy's room so this might be a good start. Of course she isn't crazy about it but she'll get used to it.

Marty, Alex and Graeme... thanks for the kind words :smile:

15. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Very nice Brian - I see your wife has made some progress.

16. This is really nice Brian and your wife makes such a great model. Your image makes me think of my own three daughters who will deliver this summer. I like this image a lot.

17. I love it!

I use Fred Miranda's B&W Workflow Pro (I just wish he'd shorten the name) for all of my conversions. I work out the settings on a web-size image first. That way, it zips right along and there are so many options to explore.

18. Fred, Gordon and Woody, thanks for the nice comments.

I guess Miranda's conversion gets the unanimous vote. :wink:

19. Brian,
    I think this is the best of your recent efforts. It's really a beautiful portrait of your wife. It looks much more relaxed and stuffy than your last set. Your wife seems more at ease and natural.

Your B&W conversion is quite good on this one as well.

Does she like it?