Black and white with a little natural light

I typically shy away from black and whites because the conversion process frustrates me and I usually end up with a dull image that ends up in the rectangular bin. This one works for me though... thoughts?

I'm open to suggestions on a good ps plugin (that doesn't take a month to figure out) or a tutorial on a B&W conversion for CS2. :cool:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gr8Tr1x

Nice, Brian. Clone in that upper right corner though...

Love the tone and mood of this one. How many more weeks?

My B/W Process technique is as follows.

I use the one of two methods. First, use a channel mixer layer and adjust to taste..then add a selective color layer over that and adjust the blacks, neutrals and whites to taste.

Either that or convert to labmode, select the L Channel (luminosity) and then convert to greyscale...then back to RGB. Then add a selective color layer to dial in the tones...Select the White, neutral and black colors, and use the Black adjustment slider to finetune the tones. Thats the way I do it...it works out fine.

Greg, thanks for the comment. This was just a test because this type of shot is new for me. I hope to try the real thing soon... gotta couple wardrobe issues to overcome. :rolleyes:

Thanks Josh. I didn't even notice the corner... fixed. :smile:

John, I'll have to check that out... O.H__I.O!!!

Stu, Thanks... the wife wants to do a bunch of black and whites for the boy's room so this might be a good start. Of course she isn't crazy about it but she'll get used to it.

Marty, Alex and Graeme... thanks for the kind words :smile:

Brian,
I think this is the best of your recent efforts. It's really a beautiful portrait of your wife. It looks much more relaxed and stuffy than your last set. Your wife seems more at ease and natural.

Your B&W conversion is quite good on this one as well.

Does she like it?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom