Black Bellied Whistlers @ Viera from today

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Oct 22, 2005.

1. After seeing some of these postings today, I'm reluctant to post any shots. There are some incredible photogs on this site, man oh man!!

Anyway, I met HarryB and Gale @ Viera today. I wanted to shake the rust off before Gordon et al come down and before the hurricane blows everything away. The weather was hot, muggy and overcast and not a tremendous day but got a few keepers. Of course it's always good to get together with other Cafe members.

Here's the family of Black Bellied Whistler Ducks, with Mom and Dad leading the way. There are only 6 of the ducklings left but they're getting big. I'm pretty sure this is the same family that Trish and Gale posted a month or so ago.
    [​IMG]

Here's Dad(?) standing on the shore, waiting for the stragglers to come ashore:
    [​IMG]

"Hey Pa, wait for us! We're coming!"
    [​IMG]

"Those kids are just too much!"
    [​IMG]

Hope you enjoy. For those interested, saw 1 Bald Eagle way off in the tree by the nest. Even @ 510mm and HSC (2x) he's barely distinguishable. Gale and I decided HarryB must've had fake eagles that he posted earlier. That or he posted shots from a book! (Just kidding Harry--you're the best) :biggrin:

2. Kevin
    What are you talking about these are fantastic, I love the first one swimming through the moss. You every bit as good as everyone else posting on here dont short change yourself

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Kevin,
    They are just adorable, every one of them...

Hey Pa wait for me, is a treasure. >)))))) Great catch on that one.

I did keep a couple of those I shot, so I could see the difference in thier size now. They are so-so.

Don't have much worth posting today kevin. Guess I got there a bit to late and just a tad to dark for my lens.

This LCD monitor I don't think is helping much. It has to much noise in it and I can't process and know what I have. Grrrrrrrrrr Everything looks like crap.

Thanks for a nice few hours.

4. Kevin,
    Do not even think these are not up to grade. Number three is incredible and they are all well done.
    Dave

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice series Kev. I love the 'wait for me' shots. :tongue:

6. Thanks y'all for the kind words. I've really come to appreciate the BBWD as the adults coloration is so pretty.

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hey Kevin

I don't get your concerns man...these shots are excellent! The shot of the two taking off that look as if they are walking across the water is exceptional!

I know that we all tend to be very critical of our own stuff....you don't need to be :)

8. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Likem all
    love the walking on water, gave me laugh :biggrin:

9. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Kevin,

It was great meeting up with ya on Saturday. Excellent shoot of the BBWD's. Sorry it was so slow on Saturday. Did you run into that osprey eating a fish on the roadside on Wickham on Saturday?

10. Thanks, Jim, for the very kind words. I wasn't fishing for compliments but that night I browsed through the new postings and the caliber of shots was so high that it did make me think twice. It's always nice to see how many great samples from various photogs we have around here. It's definitely an inspiration to keep improving!

11. Hey Ben! I spent quite a while just watching the family of BBWDs. They sure were cute. Was amazed at how protective the parents were too while the youngins just went about acting like kids!

Harry-Didn't get to see anything on the way out, despite me scouring the roadside. Saw your post though--you must be the luckiest guy around!

12. Kevin, I must have missed this post earlier. These are awesome. You are setting the standards way too high for the rest of us. Glad I saw these.

13. Thanks, Jim! Just trying to keep up with all you expert birders!!! :wink: