Black Bellied Whistling Ducks @ Viera

Spent a few hours with Gale at Viera on Saturday afternoon. We also met new member Jim Neiger. Haven't had a lot of time to process pics as we celebrated my daughter's 6th b-day yesterday. Anyway, here's a couple of the BBWD. Used 300/f4 w/1.4x handheld

In flight...
073005BBWDFlying.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and after he landed....
073005BBWD.jpg

Normally, they aren't frightened easily and I can get quite a few shots off. This time, I got one, then he took off so I was unprepared. I was lucky to get this one...the other 3 in flights, his wings are missing parts! ;)

WOW Kevin,

Those are super. Getting him flying.. Double wow on that one. Great job.

G

Gordon Large

Kevin -

The flight shot is fabulous. I've never seen a BBWD. Kinda beautiful in a weird way. Are they migrators through Viera or regulars?

Gordon

Oh, Gordon, Gordon.....

I think you were busy with Frank shooting the Mayor of Viera when these BBWD were posing so nice in the pond behind you. Usually they would just sit nicely and pose. This time they took off quick. As the sun set, we were treated by quite a few fly-bys of a pair. It was too dark to shoot as they look mostly black from the underside. They're really rather pretty, for ducks! :)

AWESOME first shot Kevin. Beautifully done!!! The colors are incredible, sharp
45921703.gif

B

bfjr

Great looking Duck in some great looking images !!
that's it getting a 1.4 next :)
Bank account :?: what bank account :lol:

Very nice series Kevin. I agree with the others that the first is an outstanding shot. Very well done. 8)

Great shots, Kevin!! The first one is awesome! I've been able to get a few of these guys in flight before, but never as up close as you did. Wonderful capture.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I was rather proud of the 1st one when I saw it on my 'puter! :) I really like these ducks. Their coloration is great. Thanks for looking.

bfjr said:
Great looking Duck in some great looking images !!
that's it getting a 1.4 next :)
Bank account :?: what bank account :lol:

Thanks, Ben! You know, you might consider the Tamron teleconverter. It's a lot less expensive than the Nikon version. It'll work with both AF-S and AF lenses. I've not been disappointed in the quality, at all. It was just over $200 locally, though I'm sure you could find it less online.

Thanks Irene and Pete! I've really been practising my handheld flying birds shots and I can see them getting better. I still struggle with trying to keep them inside the HSC markings. Maybe I should just try to shoot full-frame and crop. 420mm just doesn't quite seem long enough for where I've been shooting.

You should've seen Jim Neiger at Viera. He's handholding a 500mm!!!

Wow, thanks Mike! I took a look at your pbase galleries and all I can say is your kind words are even more meaningful to me!! Your galleries are fabulous! Thanks for looking!

Latest threads

Top Bottom