Black Capped Chickadee

Discussion in 'Birds' started by OHcorgis, May 21, 2007.

1. 494773000_88de74dcf9_b.

Nikon D200
    0.003 sec (1/320)
    Aperture: f/6.3
    Focal Length: 500 mm
    ISO Speed: 200
    Exposure Bias: -1/3 EV

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    They are such sweet little birds
    When I was a little kid they would eat out of my hand

3. QUOTE=Gale;1286649]They are such sweet little birds
    When I was a little kid they would eat out of my hand[/QUOTE]

They still do Gale
    Lou

508593547_34b77df27c_o. [

4. Chickadees are tough to get right and if the light is off their breast looks soft and it's hard to get feather detail from it. I think this has happened to yours as on my monitor is appears to be slighty soft in that area. It is a nice pose.
    Lou

5. Very Nice pose and good capture

6. I can find some more problems with the photo, but it is the eye and pose that pleased me. Capturing Black Capped Chicadee eyes can be tough.

I have not had the rapport to get them to eat out of my hands. I am impressed!

Thanks

7. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Excellent pictures

8. revdhd

revdhd

May 2, 2007
    Cincinnati
    What a pleasure to see another Ohioan on this forum! And with such a wonderful image. I love chickadees and I wish I could attract some. I'll figure out how to do this as time passes, I suspect, but you've clearly got it down.

I like the rendering you've created here. It is soft and elegant, with subdued colors. It compliments the pose of the bird very nicely. I can see what Lou says about a softness on the breast and loss of feather detail, but in this case, with the way you've presented this photo, I think it works very well. I'm not convinced that perfect sharpness is an absolute must in every image.

Very nice work.

God bless.
    Doug

9. OHcorgis, I find nothing wrong with your photo just bringing out the subjects difficulties for a photo. Yes the eye is black and it can be the reason if the eye looks good the breast don’t. I have found taking photos of all small birds the best thing I can do for a good photo is keep my shutter speed as fast as I can as they seen to be always moving even when sitting still. I think for best overall results the SS should be a higher number than the total focal length of the glass your using. Your shot was at I think about 350 of a second with a 500MM lens so any movement will most likely show. Also your ISO of 200 would be a reason for the slower SS. I keep all my cameras (both Nikon and Canon) set on 400ISO and right now the one is on 800 and I have no trouble with noise and my SS are way up there, besides noise can be helped out in PSCS if it’s reasonable as I guess we all know you need something fairly good to start with. Try bumping that ISO up a bit and see if the faster SS helps get all the feathers still.
    The one in my hand I took with a 1.3MP point & Shoot Olympus held in my right hand while the chickadee came to the seeds I watched the camera and not the bird. Cool feeling try it, they will come.
    Lou