1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Black crested night heron

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Frits, Sep 14, 2008.

1. This morning I went and check out a little stream to hunt for these beautiful little herons.
    I was lucky and got to shoot a few - before too long they will be gone for the winter.

It was very somber weather and this stream is in the shadow - so Big Time low shutter speed techniques (rock solid tripod/head, wire shutter release, MLU - the works :smile: - I went as low as 1/13 sec! :eek: ).

D2x, Nikkor AF-S 400mm f/2.8

original.
    NIKON D2X    ---    400mm    f/5.6    1/13s    ISO 160

original.
    NIKON D2X    ---    400mm    f/5.6    1/100s    ISO 160

original.
    NIKON D2X    ---    400mm    f/6.3    1/13s    ISO 160

2. Whoa !!! 1/13 of a second !!! No wonder the water seems so smooth.

Way to go Frits. Awesome pictures.

3. russowl

russowl

Jun 9, 2008
    Lima,Ohio
    All I can say is WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! beautiful bird ,, beautiful pictures !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Caleb

Caleb

May 28, 2008
    New York
    Amazing, those are incredible shots, outstanding.

Caleb

5. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    beautiful detail Frits

very nice pictures...

6. Excellent images, and excellent technique!

7. Wow! stunning

8. Very nice indeed Frits!
    #2!
    Fred

9. These are exceptional Frits. Very well done.

10. That 3rd shot is terrific, well done all of them Frits.

11. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    Autofocus is cheating! :wink: Nice shots anyway, Frits. Reminds me to get a better tripod. :redface:

12. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    stunning!!

13. :smile:

14. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Absolutely Lovely

You and Yves seem to have BCNH's that sit still for eons...I wish ours were as cooperative down here in New england...and I also wish that they would sit in picturesque spots such as these :) 

15. When they are fishing, they are as if they are cast in stone - very nice for low shutter speed shooting :smile:.
    You are right about this spot. It is a little stream on a beautiful little nature island near Montreal. Perfect for the BCNH, you will spot at least one most of the time.
    The fact that this little stream is shadow cast is a mixed blessing: little light to work with, but at the same time it provides beautiful soft light for shooting these.
    I know there are some green herons near this spot as well, but so far no luck for me :frown:. I really would like to catch one of those before they head south.

16. One of my favorite birds. Nice shots!!!

17. Very well done Fritz!!! Nice color and great detail!

18. Fabulous! "Somber day" = superb lighting. These are a target I will fing very difficult to match. I like the pose in #1 the best.

19. Solid shots, Frits, and a great looking bird. The second and third shot are very nice with the 3rd probably being my favorite.

20. Excellent shots. I already knew your long lens technique is solid, but I'm still impressed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.