1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Black Flower?

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by michaelnel, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Anyone know what this thing is?

147597593-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I can tell you it is in the succulant family
    Never saw one that color.
    Usually green....

Sure is pretty
    I love the light in the middle
    How did you shoot that

We could name it Black Magic

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2007
  3. Pretty! Looks like Sempervivum to me - don't know a common name in English, though.

Cheers

4. I found it near Pier 39 in San Francisco. I used a tripod with my D80 and a Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG lens. In order to get enough depth of field, I exposed it at 1/20sec @ f14, and I used the little wireless remote so as to not disturb the camera when releasing the shutter.

I'm very new at macro photography (this is only my second weekend using that lens). I think the light was pretty harsh, if I had had one of those folding circular diffusers to soften the light it would have worked better. I think I will get one and keep it in my bag.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
  6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Depends on how much light they live in ..less light the darker they may be..Did you sat your colors much.
    There are just so many varieties.
    But at least now you know what they are.
    You can find varietys at your local garden store, walmart etc.

By the way you can start a new plant from a leaf:) ) Just put the leaf half way in the ground in the shade and keep it a bit moist:>))) When they grow up they need little water

7. "Kiz" over on Nikonians told me it's an "Aeonium arboreum", also known as "artopurpureum 'Schwarzkopf' or the "Black Tree Aeonium".

Turns out it's not a flower at all!

8. Sounds good. Aeonium belongs to the same plant family (Crassulaceae) as Sempervivum and they are flowers. Just because they are able to produce wooden stems (or something similar) doesn't mean anything. The species name (arboreum) was most likely given because of that feature.

Cheers

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thanks Harry, again

10. no idea on the id michael, but it looks like it's burning at centre, well caught indeed!

11. Yes, thanks Harry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.