Black Flower?

Anyone know what this thing is?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I can tell you it is in the succulant family
Never saw one that color.
Usually green....

Sure is pretty
I love the light in the middle
How did you shoot that

We could name it Black Magic

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you shoot that

We could name it Black Magic
I found it near Pier 39 in San Francisco. I used a tripod with my D80 and a Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG lens. In order to get enough depth of field, I exposed it at 1/20sec @ f14, and I used the little wireless remote so as to not disturb the camera when releasing the shutter.

I'm very new at macro photography (this is only my second weekend using that lens). I think the light was pretty harsh, if I had had one of those folding circular diffusers to soften the light it would have worked better. I think I will get one and keep it in my bag.

Depends on how much light they live in ..less light the darker they may be..Did you sat your colors much.
There are just so many varieties.
But at least now you know what they are.
You can find varietys at your local garden store, walmart etc.

By the way you can start a new plant from a leaf:)) Just put the leaf half way in the ground in the shade and keep it a bit moist:>))) When they grow up they need little water

"Kiz" over on Nikonians told me it's an "Aeonium arboreum", also known as "artopurpureum 'Schwarzkopf' or the "Black Tree Aeonium".

Turns out it's not a flower at all!

"Kiz" over on Nikonians told me it's an "Aeonium arboreum", also known as "artopurpureum 'Schwarzkopf' or the "Black Tree Aeonium".

Turns out it's not a flower at all!
Sounds good. Aeonium belongs to the same plant family (Crassulaceae) as Sempervivum and they are flowers. Just because they are able to produce wooden stems (or something similar) doesn't mean anything. The species name (arboreum) was most likely given because of that feature.

Cheers

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom