Black-headed squirrel

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Pa, May 15, 2017.

1. I've never seen a squirrel like this in the U.S. but saw this one today along the South Fork of the Roanoke River.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Photographed from a car window, all heavily cropped.

• Like Like x 2
  2. A new one for me as well Jim. Nice grab.

3. Thanks, Rick. I found in Wikipedia an Eastern Black Squirrel, but those are totally black. As you can see, this one is rather grey-brown except for the head and legs.

4. I've seen black squirrels in northern Wisconsin but not one like this.

5. Super photo's. Never have seen a squirrel like that.

6. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Very unique color pattern. Our friends have an albino squirrel in their neighborhood. But never seen one like this!

7. Really unusual! Great catch, Jim!

8. Great catch, Jim...! :)

I wonder if it is per chance a hybrid...?

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Wikipedia article says:

As a rare mutation of both the eastern gray and fox squirrel, individual black squirrels can exist wherever gray or fox squirrels live. Among eastern squirrels, gray mating pairs cannot produce black offspring. Gray squirrels have two copies of a normal pigment gene and black squirrels have either one or two copies of a mutant pigment gene. If a black squirrel has two copies of the mutant gene it will be jet black. If it has one copy of a mutant gene and one normal gene it will be brown-black.[2] In areas with high concentrations of black squirrels, litters of mixed-color individuals are common.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. myfotoguy

myfotoguy

Mar 12, 2011
    Minnesota
    Nice shots! Interesting stuff on this squirrel.
    I have no idea the official names, but I have seen white, black, and I think gray squirrels in my back yard.
    Found this in my archive, do you think it's the same kind? Maybe a bit different.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  11. Thanks, Tim. That clearly looks like the black squirrel described in Wikipedia (and on other sites), whereas my critter is actually much more grey except for the head and legs.

Yours is a much better photo, too.

12. myfotoguy

myfotoguy

Mar 12, 2011
    Minnesota
    I was fortunate he was on the fence right next to me. Pure luck.

13. That's an odd critter, Jim! I've seen both black and grey squirrels, but never a hybrid like this.