Black Necked Stilt from Bolsa - Using Reznick pp technique

Discussion in 'Birds' started by helmet155, Nov 8, 2005.

1. [​IMG]

I have a lot of work to do still but was pretty happy with the outcome...

2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

you have good reason to be happy, again well done.

IMHO I would have dropped exp a tad, on my monitor looks a bit to bright. Just to help (with visual aid) here's my shot, same day same bat channel so you can compare.
    [​IMG]

Mind you I'm not saying mine is better or worse just an example

3. I agree it is too bright...I was trying out the RR technique of playing with the histogram and sampling neutral parts of the images to come up with the proper WB and EV comp...

I will re-process it and take a step or two off EV and recompare!

Being a newbie, I would say it sure is easy to overexpose and think it looks right :)

I'm practicing for my chance when I finally see some Wood Ducks or Mandarins!!

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Brett, nice capture. I really like the composition. I too have a tendency, which I am fighting, to PP a little on the hot side. You version is maybe a quarter or a third of a stop too high, just based on the white highlights, but still is well captured and processed.

In my experience, PP is a continual learning experience. I've got both of Ron's eBooks, and have attended two of his classes, and I still learn something every time I process a set of images.

5. Continual learning is right, Ron's ebooks take some jumps that took me a while to gap (not criticizing at all, just a comment regarding my level of pp comprehension) and once it clicked I was impressed with the simplicity of it really.

I need to start a Nikon Capture thread to talk about the program in general in the tech forum to learn some tips and tricks.

Later tonight I will try again and post the revised version for more critiques.

-Brett