Critique Black Point Wildlife Drive

Discussion in 'Birds' started by marine 337, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Ken - These are nice close shots, not sure if you were that close or if they are seriously cropped. On my screen they appear to be a bit over-sharpened, and the saturation seems a tad heavy. JMHO.
  2. Fred 2/ not cropped-----other three cropped. All jpeg with a little PP. Advice appreciated.
  3. I think #2 is the best of this bunch but would be better with some room left on the left side of the image.

What time of day were these taken? The light seems a bit harsh. I remember when I first started taking photos of birds a few years ago. I was so thrilled to see the birds in my viewfinder that I never considered things like lighting, angle of the shot or even backgrounds. Take yourself out early one morning and see what a difference the nice, soft morning light can make in these photos.
  4. Mitch right on the money-----11:00 to 3:00. Bright Bright Bright Bright. If I could get my wife up before 10 I could get out of the house early----I know the light 7:00 to 10:00 would improve my pix. Thx regards
  5. Ken, that's what you're doing wrong. You're supposed to sneak out of the house before sunrise, take your photos for 1-2 hours, and then arrive back home before your wife even notices you were gone.
  6. Mitch ya heading me toward divorce court. Hey maybe a great idea. Your right she probably wouldn't even know I slipped out. She keeps on eye on me like a hawk {osprey as I have been advises} from member of the forum---no pun intended. Regards

7. tony-b

Sep 13, 2008
    Viera, FL
    Nice shots. Black Point Drive and the Merritt Island Refuge have some great sunrise views and the golden hour light is also fun.
  8. here's some frank C&C on the 1st 3
    1. the light is too bright on all of these. Shoot for 2 hours after sunrise and before sunset. The bird is over saturated and you need more space in the dir the bird is looking, not behind it.
    2. good feather detail, good pose, over sharpened. Try to get lower and change the perspective. Eye level should be your goal
    3. needs to be cropped and forget the reflection, it's not strong enough to keep.
  9. Randy---your C&C is well taken---took all of these about noon. Light,light; light the secret to great pix. Enjoy

10. Blackpoint "opens" at 7 am, but actually the automatic gate is open earlier most days. Get there at sunrise, wait for that light to fall on the birds and shoot away. Plan to be done after about an hour and a half. Don't hesitate to explore the side roads on Merritt as well. As stated above, there is good feather detail, so you're well on your way. WIth today's cameras/lenses and the plentiful light where we live, you rarely need PP sharpening. As much as I like west coast, FL places, my overall favorite county for shooting birds and other wildlife is Brevard County, so in my opinion you're in a great place.
    • Agree Agree x 2