1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Black Rapid question

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Chayelle, Jul 16, 2008.

1. I have wondered how really "comfortable" the Black Rapid strap is:

I have really considered the Black Rapid, then they were hard to get, then there was a change in design...
    (have the new changed straps surfaced as yet?)
    My question about the Black Rapid...?
    I cannot put weight on my left-side shoulder/neck...
    If I wear the Black Rapid on my right side-neck/shoulder will this also begin
    to cause fatigue on my left side...muscles equalizing the weight/balance, etc.
    I am concerned as I do not want to stress the left side...

So, I have just enjoyed my Upstrap. It does not slip, but then
    the weight of my gear starts to get tiring on my shoulder...
    Glad we shoot from the car a lot more than hike. But I would like to
    find something that distributes the weight...so maybe the Black Rapid...??
    Any comments from Black Rapid users, and any users who wear the strap from right to left with the body hanging on your left side, would be most helpful also.
    thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2008
  2. The Rapid Strap does a good job of distributing the weight. Only thing that wearing it on the opposite side would drive me nuts getting used to drawing the camera from that side.

My D80 with 18-200 is what is attached to the Rapid Strap. Almost forget it is there. Still a big fan of th UpStrap though, D300 is hooked to that one.

If I had to do it again I would get the RS-1 over the RS-2. Love the idea of the extra pocket but hate the bulkiness of it and the way it does occasionally get in the way. I just throw an extra card in my pocket if needed.

3. I've used mine once, on a four-hour walkaround tour of Northampton, MA. I had a D50 with either an 18-135 or a Sigma 70-300 attached. The long and short of it...I simple didn't feel it at all....the camera was just there when I needed it. I have the RS-2 version.

4. Well JD and Harry,
    sounds like this is pretty comfortable...

5. Micky

Micky

Feb 29, 2008
    Vermont
    As others have said, it distributes the weight pretty well.

I have a home-made version, and I think I may have used a strap that may be wider and a bit more comfortable. It certainly stands up well, I used mine all last year with either the D300/Grip/17-55 (NOT lightweight!) or the D300/Grip/70-200 (even HEAVIER). It depended on what I had in my other hand on the monopod.

I normally cover games that last anywhere from 2-4 hours, sometimes several games simultaneously. It is like the camera isn't even there, except when I am carrying the monopod and a big lens and walking fast. The hanging camera sways a bit, but that is my only complaint.

If you sling it over your right shoulder you should be fine, for me that would be backwards and I could never get used to it. Either way you should try it, I am certain you will love that style of strap.

6. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    I've got the 2 and I love it. I've also got my Nikon strap and an OpTech. When I use either of those and put the camera on my right shoulder I'm uncomfortable within a half hour or less. With the BR on my left shoulder the camera is right under my right hand and the weight doesn't become a problem. I keep a couple of cards in the card pocket and use the extra pouch for a battery but you could use it for a cell phone or whatever. Even with D300/grip/18-200 it carries the weight very well and comfortably.

7. Optech make CF card holders that have little loops on the back for fitting onto their straps. But you can fir them onto the RS1 by undoing the strap and threading them on. Less bulky than the RS2 and stil lholds your cards. I have 2 wallets on the RS 1 strap - works great, but then the strap is great too.

I'm using an RS1 on the right hand side and a small messenger style bag on the left. This way I can slip a couple of primes and a flash in the bag whilst keeping the 150mm Macro on the RS1. Camera stays on a wrist-strap.

8. Mickey...
    I would be interested in hearing more about your homemade strap...

good replies, and helpful...
    thanks Mickey, LDB415, and Simon!

Does anyone know if the Black Rapid company has released their "newly" equipped straps?

9. I hear ya, good suggestion. I generally just keep the CF cards in the little pouch you get from SanDisk when you buy the card and keep that in my pocket. Like the Rapid Strap ok just not convinced with the RS-2. The storage idea in theory is a great idea, but for me just gets in the way for very minimum benefit.

10. Micky

Micky

Feb 29, 2008
    Vermont
    Is there any interest?

Cheryle - I don't know if there is much interest in me posting the details (with photos), but I would be glad to explain how I built my strap.

4 basic components -
    A Tamrac quick release strap (I use them on all my cameras, so I have plenty...)
    A strap and D-ring clip from a Sigma lens case (you can supply any nylon strap material here)
    A Manfrotto RC2 quick-release plate with D-ring screw attachment
    Quick release clips that fit the Tamrac strap. (generally available at EMS - Eastern Mountain Sports)

Basically you want to make a loop with a d-ring clip that slides. You attach the sliding clip to the D-ring of the RC2 plate you attach to the camera.

If there is interest, and I get sufficiently motivated, I will do it up right, a full set of instructions with photos.

Problems are - Just got rid of the 90mm macro and will have to use extension tubes for the photos...
    Gonna be 90 degrees here this weekend...
    Friends coming up for the weekend...
    The pool is calling...

11. Micky...
    I appreciate the info on making the strap, however, if possible, when you get a chance I would very much like to see pics...as you mention: full set of instructions with photos...
    thanks

How you have a good, wet, and cool weekend!!

12. Mike S

Mike S

Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle, WA USA
    I have one and it's great.

13. Great concept. Very comfortable. Only problem? If you are using it attached to the camera body (as opposed to the tripod foot on a lens), the fastener interferes with the use of the verticle shutter release on pro-bodies.

Doesn't make the vertical shutter unusable - just makes it a little uncomfortable to use.

Bottom line is that despite the vertical orientation issue, I would highly recommend it.

14. I appreciate all this input...
    and the why s of your using this...
    very helpful.
    Thanks everyone, and please if you have more input I know
    this to be helpful to others as well.

15. I just got one for use with my D300 and my 300 F/4 lens - and man does it make hauling that much weight around a lot easier - totally recommend it!

16. Thanks Paul for helping us (me too) know a bit more about what the strap
    carries well....

17. Check this out. The guy is a DYI genius! :rolleyes: 

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  18. Thanks for posting this Ron...
    Very helpful...
    And I am going to try to put this together and
    see how it works...
    I have lots of straps, a sewing awl, and heavy thread.

19. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey
    I have one and used it all the time..When I use to have my canon mark III I would use it with my small lens..To me it got pretty heavy with a big body and a long lens..

20. revoke99...
    thank you for this reply...
    I am encouraged to hear both the positive and negative
    about this strap, as are others...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.