1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Black Rapid Strap Failures

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Baywing, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I've been reading about these lately as I have been using a BR curved shoulder strap for carrying my 600E. Info seems sparse on a net search, as well as over 6 years old. I've seen some comments here referring to failures, just curious if anyone has actually had a failure, and if so, what failed? Is this a real problem or just a few random occurances years ago that got blown out of proportion by the interweb.
    I'm carrying about $20k of lens and camera from one of these, and have permanently mounted the BR eyelet into a dovetail clamp with permanent locktite. The clamp then attaches to the lens foot as a tripod would.

2. jbird

jbird

Jun 22, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    I have two straps, one is a single the other a double. I have not had any issues with either strap. The only issue was with the carabiner. It did not stay locked and I somehow managed to unhook the camera. It and the lens hit the pavement. Fortunately only damage was cosmetic.

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Sorry to hear that. I keep checking mine and it seems like it's always unscrewing. I don't need to unhook it, so I think I'll loctite the bugger closed. I'm also looking into designing a back-up attachment in the event the main on fails.

4. years ago the strap came loose from too much slack, over time
    I watch it now carefully

5. I've 2 BR variants. A single version and the double. Neither have failed me in any way.
    I purchased right after there were some reported issues with the screw part that went into the body coming loose but there was a fix done by BR to rectify. The system I received new had the upgraded hardware.

The carabiners for mine have not had any issues either. I'm 99% of the time using BR systems for my cameras unless I'm going to be super active and I can't chance the cameras swinging around at all. Then, I use the Cotton Carrier system.

I'm a little paranoid, though - so I always double check all the connections before using and if I'm shooting prolonged periods of time, I check them when I take breaks. No one wants thousands of dollars of camera gear crashing to the floor if it can be prevented.

6. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I guess this is what I was looking to hear. I haven't found any reference to problems recently. I'm constantly checking connections ever since I had a regular camera strap come undone. I felt it go and was lucky enough and fast enough to grab the loose end before the camera hit the ground.

7. In my older single strap, the metal loop that the camera hangs from wore thin from thousands of movements while walking. A friend pointed it out. I just replaced the whole thing.
    1640v.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  8. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks for posting the pic, Bobby. I took a look at mine and after just one year, it's not as bad as yours in the photo but has worn about 25%. Of more concern is the top of the swivel which looks like it's about to pull through any moment. If it was 5 years old I wouldn't be too surprized but this has been in use a short time. It doesn't get used daily, either, as I'm more or less a weekend shooter and the weather over the last year hasn't been the best. I'm currently looking for alternatives for a shoulder cross body strap for large lenses. Poor design and less than durable materials on the BR.

9. This wouldn't work if you are just carrying the lens, or if the metal loop failed, but when I use my BR sports strap I use an Op/Tech uni-loop XL to teather my camera to the metal loop.
    DSC_7859.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

10. For about the past 2 years I have been using a OP/Tech sling Utility Sling - Duo - Dual Camera Sling Strap | OP/TECH USA

It has a second set of straps to which I occasionally attach my binoculars, but they do also make several versions that are designed for a single item. Mine attaches to the camera at 2 points--the right side camera eyelet and also the right side of my Kirk L-plate (which has a eyelet too, so the strap does not interfere with tripod mounting). I was passing through Belgrade, Montana one summer and spent a very pleasant hour or 2 with them trying on a whole range of products. I'm very happy with it.

11. I've had two single BR straps for years and never had an issue with either one. I have developed the habit of checking to ensure it's tightly screwed into the camera base or lens, as if the body spins while hanging, they can start to back out sometimes.

However, I have never used these straps for something as large as my 600 mm; 70 -200 or 80-400 with bodies are about as heavy as I've used them with.

12. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I have the same wear issue that BobbyV shows in his photo above. In addition, the post from the carabiner that acts as a swivel has the top worn almost completely off to the point it will likely pull through in the near future. I'm sure lighter weight gear would take much longer to wear to this extent. I'm currently looking at sourcing some rock climbing parts that would replace the wimpy stuff. The straps and shoulder pad are like new, no signs of wear, just this one part.

13. Jerry Benoit Day

Jerry Benoit Day

Feb 7, 2019
    I use Domke 1-1/2 inch straps on my D850 and Z7. I have been using Domke products since the 1970s, camera bags, straps, photo vests and have never had a problem with any of them.

14. What weight gear have you guys been carrying on the BR strap? Must be pretty heavy to produce that kind of wear.

I'm surprised we haven't heard from Bill Dewey (Retief). He had some kind of BR strap failure that cost him a D500 and 300/4 PF. I think in his case the problem was something not being fastened properly. maybe he'll see this and chime in.

p.s. I see that Bill has been MIA since last May.

15. Yeah, I miss him and his humor! Louie may know more.
    If you're listening Bill, cheers!

17. If you want to eliminate strap/connector failures why not just get a Magpul sling.
    Magpul Gen 2 MS4 Dual QD Sling
    Add a shoulder pad from Amazon for $12 and 200-400 + D850 works just fine.

18. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Do you have a link for the shoulder pad? Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.