1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Black Rapid Strap RS-1 + I am being too picky

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Edrod13, Aug 24, 2008.

1. I have been very interested with the R-Strap for quite some time and I finally took the plunge and got the RS-1. I have to say that I am extremely happy and do not see myself using another strap for a very long time. The D300 + 17-55 is heavy and with the provided Nikon strap, I always had a sore shoulder from carrying the weight, not to mention that the strap sometimes gets in the way. I was at Disneyland this past Wednesday and I enjoyed having two free hands and it barely felt like I had a camera on me the entire day + I had the SB800 mounted :biggrin:. When I needed the camera, I just reached to my side and BAM! there it was.

Now here is my only complaint and do you think I am being to picky. For those of you who have the strap, do you notice that the petal wheel on the FasternR is starting to make a circular indentation on the bottom of the grip when its tightened? I do not really care about the bottom of the grip so much but what happens when the bottom rubber gets so compressed that it will start to put marks on the side grips. I dont care that the bottom rubber gets marked up a bit, but I do care if the side grips get rubbed. I know many will say, that its part of using your gear and what not and that could be true, but I am just very anal when it comes to keeping my gear as mint as possible.

Well if you are like me and have noticed the same thing, here is what I did today which I think should fix possible rubbing on the side grips. I went over to the local hardware store and picked up a neopreme washer that was 1/4 inch in the center, 1-1/4 inches in diameter, and 1/16 thickness for 47 cents.

[​IMG]

I then placed it over the FastenR and let it rest on the petal wheel that will be tightened once I screw down the "L" bracket.

p960110076-4.

I first tightened down the "L" bracket until it bottoms out on the grip and then I start tightening down the petal wheel until I have a tight fit. I can't see where this is any different than using it like it was designed to be used since the "L" bracket still bottoms out on the grip. The only difference now would be that instead of turning the wheel 6 turns, it only takes 4 turns to tighten. This leaves enough room where the wheel will never hopefully rub against the side grips.

[​IMG]

Since I just did this, maybe with time the washer will make some type of imprint from the pressure or not but I feel better that its rubber touching the side grip and not metal?

View attachment 242559

Just thought I would share. Sorry for the horrible pics and flash, they are from a little P&S. So, I am being to picky?

2. Yes. Is there something wrong with being picky? :biggrin:

3. Dunno - mines attached to the lens foot on my 300 F4 - but way to be creative!

The only thing I've noticed about mine is sometimes it 'squeaks' when it rocks while I walk (the clip in the fastenR) not a big enough annoyance but sometimes noticeable...

4. I am glad to see others feel the same way! :biggrin:

Thanks. Its a simple washer but it gives me piece of mind and works too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.