Black Rapid users with 70-200 - Question

My question is how does the lens hang when using this strap? Is it mostly pointed straight down or at an angle? I would think straight down would be less stressful on the mount? Do you attach to the lens tripod foot or camera tripod connection when using this strap? I have a D700 and would like a lighter feeling option to carry this combo with and have heard good things about the weight relief this strap provides.

My other concern is with the screw in tripod fastener. Do you find yourself checking to make sure its securely tightened often? Ive heard issues in the past with the connections on these.

Ive also heard of the 'Sun Sniper' variety. Any opinion on those?

Thanks so much

I fasten mine to the tripod foot mount (lens body, not the actual foot), not the camera body. You don't want that weight swinging and stressing the lens mount.

You should check the fastener (I have the newer one, that doesn't have a 'swivel' on it) from time-to-time. To help ensure its seal, you should moisten the rubber (spit, water) before screwing it in place.

Have never used or seen the Sun Sniper in action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Mark
I do the same thing Chris does. Attached to the tripod foot on the lens & I wet the rubber gasket on the fastner. I do sometimes check to be sure that the caribener?hook has not come unscrewed.
I shoot sports with the D700 and 70-200 on the Blackrapid all the time and I don't have any problems.

The lens hangs horizontally, not pointing up or down. Lens facing back, camera LCD in the front. I attach the Fasten-R to the actual foot mount, not the foot itself. IMO, this eliminates another point of failure, which is the lens-foot connection. As for the fasten-R, I moist it and screw in tightly, no issues and it's very tight. Once the moist evaporates, it forms a very tight seal. I can't even unscrew it by hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll add mine too - lens is perpendicular to the ground when hung by its mount. I don't use the tripod foot, though, as it makes holding the lens a little awkward for me. If you remove the foot, there is a threaded tripod mount directly on the collar. Thats where I attach the BlackRapid fastener. I usually don't check the fastener because I remove it when I take the lens off the camera and it's never been loose at all...
Yet!

Real Name
Alex
Lens foot. Works great. Lens is horizontal and I point it forward or backward while walking, away from the sun (when front element is uncovered).

The few times I have it on a monopod (as I use it more for the 80-400), I switch the black-rapid (newer model hook) to the camera JIC. Once out of the monopod, Black-rapid back goes back to the foot.

I use it attached to the foot with my D700. Balances perfectly. Haven't had any problems with the screw losening. It's a terrific set up for me.

I attach my BR to the left eyelet of all my cameras. Balances great with all my lenses including the 70-200 and a Sigma 120-300. Don't have to deal with a mounting plate or bother with switching the strap with lenses.

And yes, it stands up to the stress of shooting sports, walking around out in nature, doing beach shots, or covering events.

Real Name
Randy
i attach to the camera body, it hangs better this way for me
i tried attaching to the lens and it hangs weird
note that i don't use a grip

Thanks for all the input everyone.

I guess I can lay my fears to rest about the (non) safety issue with the connection loosening. I would probably still be tempted to rig up some kind of safety net from the BR connector to an eyelet as a backup. I'm just an enthusiastic amateur and the 70-200vr is my most coveted lens (well the 300 f4 is a close second) and would hate to have a disaster occur.

john68 - I hadn't thought of using the eyelet as the main BR connection point. How does the camera/lens hang when using that option? Again I would worry if the eyelet is as strong as the tripod connection? Using a normal strap splits the weight over both eyelets but using one alone I wonder what the weight limit is?

Thanks

As an aside, I'd like to remind 70-200 VR users to check the four small screws found on the collar base the foot fastens to. I usually remove these screws and apply a dab of blue Loctite, then re-install. Fingernail polish also works fine if more handy.

I've seen two cases where these little screws had worked loose causing troubles.

I'll add in the same. I attach it to the lens foot on my 80-200 and never have any problems with loosening.

I haven't shot with the BR and 80-200 much though, but in all cases I don't worry about the strap loosening.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

I guess I can lay my fears to rest about the (non) safety issue with the connection loosening. I would probably still be tempted to rig up some kind of safety net from the BR connector to an eyelet as a backup. I'm just an enthusiastic amateur and the 70-200vr is my most coveted lens (well the 300 f4 is a close second) and would hate to have a disaster occur.

john68 - I hadn't thought of using the eyelet as the main BR connection point. How does the camera/lens hang when using that option? Again I would worry if the eyelet is as strong as the tripod connection? Using a normal strap splits the weight over both eyelets but using one alone I wonder what the weight limit is?

Thanks

I don't know what the weight limit is, but it supports a D3s and 120-300. I don't leave it hanging like that, but if I am going with two cameras, I have no worries about letting it hang while I use the other camera. When I walk around, I support the heavier body lens.

It hangs just fine.

Moistening the rubber buffer before applying onto camera body or lens collar provides a better secure seal, preventing loosening of screw.

Latest threads

Top Bottom