Black Skimmers on Merritt Island- More Photos added 2/14

We saw a large flock of Black Skimmers on the parking lot just east of the bridge to Merritt Island from Titusville. They sure are strange looking birds
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You can't see it clearly in the above photos, but these birds not only fly in formation, but also stand in a loose formation:cool:. You can see it more easily in these wider shots:

Bob & Nan

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mattcham

Why are they all facing the same direction? Very strange in a creepy sort of way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why are they all facing the same direction? Very strange in a creepy sort of way.
Like I indicated, not only are they all facing the same direction, but they are lined up in loose rows! The wind might explain the same direction, but the formation of rows is very strange.

Bob & Nan

Here are some additional Black Skimmer shots from the same flock:

More flying into the group:

A couple of stragglers:

Viewing downwind:

More of the line-up:

Bob & Nan

These really are intriguing-looking birds, aren't they, with the interesting beaks?
Yes, the lower part of the beak is much longer than the upper part. I want to see (and get a photo:cool:) of them skimming when they drop the lower part of the beak into the water while in-flight.

Bob & Nan

Skimmers In Action

Bob - not trying to hijack thread but have a couple of pictures of black skimmers in action. Took these last week at MI (unfortunately was unable to get there while the group was there - maybe next year). Words of preface for the pictures - I am a neophyte at bird photography (as you'll surely see when you look at the pictures :smile: ). I am really not proficient at BIF. Well here goes anyway.

Solo

Solo
View attachment 315004

Duet
View attachment 315005

I was really excited to see this as I have never seen it before. I am certain that I want to return to MI/VI many more times (especially after I begin to become more proficient in bird photography). This time was definitely sensory overload.

M

mattcham

I've been in MI and Viera all week and I have not seen a single one of these. :-(
I did see all the other birds on the other threads so far... which is great!

Bob - not trying to hijack thread but have a couple of pictures of black skimmers in action. Took these last week at MI (unfortunately was unable to get there while the group was there - maybe next year).
I was really excited to see this as I have never seen it before. I am certain that I want to return to MI/VI many more times (especially after I begin to become more proficient in bird photography). This time was definitely sensory overload.
Hi Larry,

Thanks for posting the photos of the actual skimming... That is the behavior I would like to see and photograph.

Bob & Nan

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom