1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Black Skimmers on Merritt Island- More Photos added 2/14

Discussion in 'Merritt Island VI' started by bobhoge, Feb 5, 2009.

1. We saw a large flock of Black Skimmers on the parking lot just east of the bridge to Merritt Island from Titusville. They sure are strange looking birds
    473207353_2U964-XL.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

473207033_bDVyt-XL.jpg

You can't see it clearly in the above photos, but these birds not only fly in formation, but also stand in a loose formation:cool: . You can see it more easily in these wider shots:
    468227035_KQSDm-XL.jpg

473207439_p9VXE-XL.jpg

Bob & Nan

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2009
  2. Good shooting Bob, #3 is a terrific shot.

3. Great catch. I did not see even one this week. :( 

4. mattcham

mattcham Guest

Why are they all facing the same direction? Very strange in a creepy sort of way.

5. Like I indicated, not only are they all facing the same direction, but they are lined up in loose rows! The wind might explain the same direction, but the formation of rows is very strange.

Bob & Nan

6. Here are some additional Black Skimmer shots from the same flock:

More flying into the group:
    473206960_BRy6f-XL.jpg

A couple of stragglers:
    473207152_fY3St-XL.jpg

Viewing downwind:
    473207106_PVAuv-XL.jpg

More of the line-up:
    473207274_jWGZ5-XL.jpg

473207522_TmyPF-XL.jpg

Bob & Nan

7. Cool! KristinB and I saw a couple standing in the road when we were driving around Viera but never saw the quantity that you've captured here. These really are intriguing-looking birds, aren't they, with the interesting beaks?

8. Yes, the lower part of the beak is much longer than the upper part. I want to see (and get a photo:cool: ) of them skimming when they drop the lower part of the beak into the water while in-flight.

Bob & Nan

9. Skimmers In Action

Bob - not trying to hijack thread but have a couple of pictures of black skimmers in action. Took these last week at MI (unfortunately was unable to get there while the group was there - maybe next year). Words of preface for the pictures - I am a neophyte at bird photography (as you'll surely see when you look at the pictures :smile: ). I am really not proficient at BIF. Well here goes anyway.

Solo
    3281876830_cae62004c5.png

Solo
    View attachment 315004

Duet
    View attachment 315005

I was really excited to see this as I have never seen it before. I am certain that I want to return to MI/VI many more times (especially after I begin to become more proficient in bird photography). This time was definitely sensory overload.

10. mattcham

mattcham Guest

I've been in MI and Viera all week and I have not seen a single one of these. :-(
    I did see all the other birds on the other threads so far... which is great!

11. Hi Larry,

Thanks for posting the photos of the actual skimming... That is the behavior I would like to see and photograph.

Bob & Nan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.