Black Skimmers

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bobhoge, Dec 2, 2005.

1. We have been watching the shore here in Pompano Beach looking for the Black Skimmers to show up for the winter. Yesterday afternoon I spotted a few and this morning we saw a small group. It was not too windy and also nice and sunny so we grabbed the cameras and took a short walk up the beach. Too bad that the wind made them stand with their backs to the sun. :mad:
    They are strange looking birds, long and low also with a lower part of the beak much longer than the upper part:
    D-100 70-200AFS-VR + 1.7TC @ 340mm:
    [​IMG]

D-70 80-400VR @400mm:
    [​IMG]

They seem to have a very strong flock instinct and fly close together
    D-100 70-200AFS-VR + 1.7TC @ 150mm:
    [​IMG]

When spooked they all fly off and wheel around to return to a close-by spot on the beach
    D-100 70-200AFS-VR + 1.7TC @ 150mm:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nan is able to get a little closer to the skimmers, without spooking them, than I can probably because she is small, plus she has a little more reach with the 400mm, thus this tonsil shot :eek:
    D-70 80-400VR @400mm:
    [​IMG]

Bob & Nan

2. Cool shots of a cool bird that I have yet to see or shoot! But it's "on my list"!

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Interesting species of bird...reminds me a bit of the terns that I shot at the zoo. We don't have birds like that here in the Chicago area...we do however have a wonderful species of Chicago Quail...the pigeon! Or, the flying rat as we affectionatly say around here. Nice shooting Bob and/or Nan

4. Bob and Nan
    Good shooting here, Both of you! This is a species high on my list to photograph. You have captured them nicely.
    Nan- great job on the tonsil shot!
    DAve

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bob and Nan,
    First I am looking foward to seeing you again.

Nice work. Many faces of the bird as well.