Critique Black/White or color ?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
This nice Indian man working at the City Palace in Jaipur, India was nice enough to pose for me....

_DSC0884_Color-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_DSC0884_BW-X3.jpg

_DSC0884_HiKey-X3.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I prefer the color version, but I also find the black and white version too bright. Darken it to bring back the proper skin tone and I might like it as much or better.
I had two B&W versions, but only selected the lighter one. I liked the way the lighter version accented his eyes..... I've now added my first conversion to Post #1.............. Any better - for you?

I think it depends on what you want the image to say.
With the color version, I focus on the beautiful red cover or turban.
On the darker b/w I am more drawn to the person.
Unless an image is about the color I usually prefer bw- but that is just me.
Me, I pick the 2nd one.
gary

For me, the third one works best and really, really well because it's both creative and effective. Well done!

If I was in the mood for a more traditional look, I would also like the second one if the skin tones were more realistically darker.

Do you by any chance have any photos of this man with his torso positioned as in this scene but with his face facing the camera?

So far 5 opinions, all by respected photographers that we know here.
All 3 choices have been selected as their “favorite.”
This is a great example of how opinions about art are so varied.
As the artist our options are so broad, often the hardest and most important decision we make is what we want the image to say.
Gary

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thank you all for commenting! For me, the color one is a nice literal stereotypical presentation and brings back memories of the colorful scenes in India and the traditional turbans. The second image is OK - but says to me nothing more than B&W. In playing with SEP, I ended up with #3....and that one emphasized, to me, the man's eyes and he as a unique individual human being. The simplicity and impact of the image was the result of less contrast and less texture.

Unlike each of you, I cannot "unsee" that experience and my connection to this man. That is the reason it is so very important for me to hear your comments about these images and what they say to YOU!

THANK YOU for commenting!

I prefer the color version, but I also find the black and white version too bright. Darken it to bring back the proper skin tone and I might like it as much or better.

Color one for me.

Color all the way! Very well done, Karen!

I think it depends on what you want the image to say.
With the color version, I focus on the beautiful red cover or turban.
On the darker b/w I am more drawn to the person.
Unless an image is about the color I usually prefer bw- but that is just me.
Me, I pick the 2nd one.
gary

For me, the third one works best and really, really well because it's both creative and effective. Well done!

If I was in the mood for a more traditional look, I would also like the second one if the skin tones were more realistically darker.

Do you by any chance have any photos of this man with his torso positioned as in this scene but with his face facing the camera?

So far 5 opinions, all by respected photographers that we know here.
All 3 choices have been selected as their “favorite.”
This is a great example of how opinions about art are so varied.
As the artist our options are so broad, often the hardest and most important decision we make is what we want the image to say.
Gary

For me, the second b&w focusses best on the person while providing enough context to be aware of the traditional garments.
These don't take the lead though as I feel they do in the colour version and still somewhat in the 1st b&w.
I do agree the skin tones in #3 are on the light side but given these 3 versions, I definitely would go for #3.
It would be nice if you would succeed in darkening the skin tones without influencing the rest and still keep a natural looking overall effect. Yes, not asking for much :)
All this is of course, highly subjective.

Anyway, great work already Karen!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
For me, the second b&w focusses best on the person while providing enough context to be aware of the traditional garments.
These don't take the lead though as I feel they do in the colour version and still somewhat in the 1st b&w.
I do agree the skin tones in #3 are on the light side but given these 3 versions, I definitely would go for #3.
It would be nice if you would succeed in darkening the skin tones without influencing the rest and still keep a natural looking overall effect. Yes, not asking for much :)
All this is of course, highly subjective.

Anyway, great work already Karen!
Thanks, Bart! I'll try your suggestion....but it won't be for a week of so. We leave in the next few days for a short trip.

Real Name
Mike
The red turban is so arresting that's the one. But a b/w version w/ darker contrasts like evening lighting could work well.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom