Blackrock Summit on the Appalahian trail

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by dmwphoto, Aug 17, 2005.

1. This is not the best of images but frankly after lugging the D2X/12-24/gitzo 1228 and Kirk BH-3 to the top of this summit I did not really tend to the normal details of my photography. It was hot and I was tired. Hiked 11 miles saturday before taking this picture and did 4 on friday afternoon and another 8 miles on sunday and it was rather sultry weather here AND the DAMN knats were a pain!
    sorry i think i was just whinning.
    [​IMG]

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Whine away...it's hot and humid down here in Alabama as well and I've been doing my fair share of it too!

Nice shot!

3. Thanks Leigh!

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That's a beautiful image, Dave. The like the way the low haze abscures the hills in the background. Shooting the image wide does well to present the rocks and gravel in the foreground, too.

5. Thanks Frank. Those rocks and boulders in the foreground are called Thalus rock. I can not remember the phenomenon that caused it but the entire top of the mountain is nothing but it.

6. Very nice picture Dave. Did you like your trekking adventure?

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice Dave,

So thats where you have been.
    :>)))

Haven't seen you in awhile pal.

8. Gilles and Gale,
    Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment. I have been enjoying these weekend treks on the Appalachian trail and some of the blue blazed side trails of interest. I am doing a very interesting and history laden section tommorrow and sunday. There is much civil war history in the section that i am hiking this weekend and it is fascinating reading about it and then exploring it on foot. I am having a ball!

9. An excellent and inspiring picture. I've been itching to get out and dedicate a few days to photos, but it will have to wait until the racing season is done...

Thanks for sharing!

-Eugene

10. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I think it is a great photo. I've never been to the appalachian mountains and always love to see vistas that show all the layers of mountains. I hope to get there someday--still too many things to see out west before I make it to the east!!! My husband has a touring motorcycle. Bet it would be fun to ride it through the Appalachian mountains.

11. A trek in the Appalachians sound like a good thing to do. I'm glad that you had fun. I like the way your image shows the mountains receeding into the distance.

12. Dave
    Looks like it was well worth the trip the rocks draw you down the mountain into the picture. Now the next time swap out the 12-24 for the 200-400 :wink:

13. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Moody!! I like it

14. Dave -

The perspective is excellent in this one.

Had I trekked that far carrying that gear, I'd probably have tried to fill up the card while regaining my breath . . .

Eric