Critique Blackwater Falls State Park, WV

Thanks to Mike Buckley for inspiring me to look back into my archives. These are from a visit there in May, 2013.

_D6H3236-X4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_D6H3243_sm-XL.jpg

_D6H3262_sm-XL.jpg

_D6H3265-X4.jpg

_D6H3268-X4.jpg

_D6H3280-X4.jpg

_D6H3287-X4.jpg

_D6H3291-X4.jpg

_D6H3294-X4.jpg

_D6H3307-X2.jpg

_D6H3337-X4.jpg

_D6H3343-X4.jpg

_D6H3353-X4.jpg

_D6H3352-X4.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Glad you shared these, Jim! Very nice! What is the "face" in the lower right in the next to last image?
Thanks, Karen.

Good eye. I hadn't noticed that "face". I think it's the bottom of an abandoned ski pole. This area is popular with cross-country skiers.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Thanks, Karen.

Good eye. I hadn't noticed that "face". I think it's the bottom of an abandoned ski pole. This area is popular with cross-country skiers.
It looks like part of a ski pole! LOL! The eye always seems to go to the lightest part of an image.....so I spotted it immediately.

Very enjoyable series, Jim! We didn't get to do any hiking along the trails beyond the very short walk to the Elakala water fall. That's because we spent so much time at that waterfall and at Blackwater Falls.

I'm amused by the photo of (presumably) your wife tying her shoes. If I got into that position I would never get back up!

Very enjoyable series, Jim! We didn't get to do any hiking along the trails beyond the very short walk to the Elakala water fall. That's because we spent so much time at that waterfall and at Blackwater Falls.
And we didn't find Elakala Falls.

I'm amused by the photo of (presumably) your wife tying her shoes. If I got into that position I would never get back up!
:D

I wanted to show the cabin and that's the only photo I had. She was tying on her hiking boots before we started out on a walk from the cabin. The trail from the cabin led directly to the intersection shown in #7.

What a great place. #14 is the essence of quiet!
What a beautiful area, thanks for sharing these lovely images.
Thanks for commenting, Nick and Gordon.

imho, I like the macro flower pictures best out of this set, Jim. The others seem to be underexposed to my eye/screen.
Thanks for the comment, John. That's useful information. I tend to go with a darker look most of the time, but I don't want them to look underexposed.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
FWIW.....I also noted a bit of underexposure in #4, 6 and 13. In comparison, the exposure for #9 seems about right. For instance, in #13, about 75% of the histogram is in the left quadrant. The image is a long way from being over exposed. ;)

#14 could benefit from a gradient to reveal just a bit more detail in the foreground greenery without disturbing the sky (mask out the water so the reflection is consistent with the untouched sky......). Just my thoughts....

FWIW.....I also noted a bit of underexposure in #4, 6 and 13. In comparison, the exposure for #9 seems about right. For instance, in #13, about 75% of the histogram is in the left quadrant. The image is a long way from being over exposed. ;)

#14 could benefit from a gradient to reveal just a bit more detail in the foreground greenery without disturbing the sky (mask out the water so the reflection is consistent with the untouched sky......). Just my thoughts....
Thanks for the suggestions, Karen. Are the following what you had in mind?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
What do YOU think?

My opinion doesn't matter much, yours does! LOL! IMHO #1 and 2 are much better! In #3, I see beautiful blue sky and white clouds which means you should have had a bright day. I can see shadows under the largest tree just to the right of center. I've done a lot of hiking over the years. Was the board walk and the greenery a tad brighter...?

Well done on #4!

What do YOU think?

My opinion doesn't matter much, yours does! LOL! IMHO #1 and 2 are much better! In #3, I see beautiful blue sky and white clouds which means you should have had a bright day. I can see shadows under the largest tree just to the right of center. I've done a lot of hiking over the years. Was the board walk and the greenery a tad brighter...?

Well done on #4!
Karen, they were all pretty much the way I wanted them. It's a matter of taste, and my revised versions above are within a range I find acceptable.

#3 was actually made after #4, so it was very late in the day...after sunset. I didn't want to brighten it up to look like midday.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Karen, they were all pretty much the way I wanted them. It's a matter of taste, and my revised versions above are within a range I find acceptable.

#3 was actually made after #4, so it was very late in the day...after sunset. I didn't want to brighten it up to look like midday.
Then they are perfect. I wasn't there and didn't know #3 was made after #4. You have good instincts and lots of experience. Trust yourself!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom