Critique Blackwater Falls State Park, WV

It's a matter of taste,
Exactly. And it's only a matter of taste. It's so easy to determine if the taste is informed, and it's clear to me that your taste is informed.

In #3, I see beautiful blue sky and white clouds which means you should have had a bright day.
I've gotta disagree. We're seeing the beautiful blue sky the camera is pointing toward. Even so, that sky is at least 50% clouds. We don't see the part of the sky where the sun was. We know for a fact by the length of the shadows that the sun was relatively overhead. Though the image displayed here is relatively small, when I look at the quality of the shadows, they seem soft. That indicates that at the moment Jim released the shutter, the sun was behind a cloud. In that situation, the scene he photographed wouldn't necessarily be particularly bright.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've gotta disagree. We're seeing the beautiful blue sky the camera is pointing toward. Even so, that sky is at least 50% clouds. We don't see the part of the sky where the sun was. We know for a fact by the length of the shadows that the sun was relatively overhead. Though the image displayed here is relatively small, when I look at the quality of the shadows, they seem soft. That indicates that at the moment Jim released the shutter, the sun was behind a cloud. In that situation, the scene he photographed wouldn't necessarily be particularly bright.
You must have missed post #18. That photo was actually made after sunset.

That photo [#3] was actually made after sunset.
There is nothing about my understanding of light and shadow that conveys that the photo was taken after sunset. Having said that, I've never studied the characteristic of shadows that time of day, especially in mountainous areas.

Does it make sense to you that the first photo was captured at 5:15pm, that you were about to start a hike that late in the day? I ask because the time stamp configured in my camera is often incorrect by many hours and wonder if that also happened with yours.

EDIT: Now that I've reviewed your shutter speed, aperture and ISO value, those settings are consistent with low light near the end of the day unless you were using a polarizer.

Last edited:
There is nothing about my understanding of light and shadow that conveys that the photo was taken after sunset. Having said that, I've never studied the characteristic of shadows that time of day, especially in mountainous areas.

Does it make sense to you that the first photo was captured at 5:15pm, that you were about to start a hike that late in the day? I ask because the time stamp configured in my camera is often incorrect by many hours and wonder if that also happened with yours.

EDIT: Now that I've reviewed your shutter speed, aperture and ISO value, those settings are consistent with low light near the end of the day unless you were using a polarizer.
I'm sorry about all the time confusions. These photos were made seven years ago, and my memory is hazy, but I should have paid more attention to the time stamp on the files.

The first photo was actually made late on the day before all the others. We had just checked in to the cabin and were going out for a short hike before dinner.

Photo #13 in the original set was made at about 9 AM EDT on the day that I made all the others, so it was just early on a day that started out cloudy and never cleared much. It was not after sunset as I said above, and that's on me.

beautiful country and photos
Thanks, Greg.

Jim, this is a wonderful set. You've got a great eye and touch with the wildflowers. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, Mitchell. Because of my wife's strong interest and expertise, wildflowers have always been among my favorite subjects. In fact, that's why I got started in digital photography 15 years ago.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom