Featured Blackwater Wildlife Refuge

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Walter, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    Blackwater Wildlife Refuge in Cambridge, Maryland on the Chesapeake Bay.

FCBA5600-A4F2-4915-97BB-DC51718A46BD.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. I like this a lot. Nice sight lines, and the mist in the distance is quite pleasing. I especially like your horizon being perfect ... that's something I often struggle with (thank goodness it's easy to fix!!)

Generally, I'm not a fan of borders, but in this case it works well. Well done!!

Ken

3. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    Thanks Ken. This was taken on a late winter morning. The marshes around the wildlife refuge and elsewhere along the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay are magnificant.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Love the lines, tones, contrasts, and processing!

5. Agreed with all the above. A gorgeous image in a rather unique style.

6. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Extremely well done! Excellent strong composition and processing. At first glimpse I wanted a tad more contrast, but after letting my eyes "settle in" on the image, I think the contrast level is perfect! Just one thing disrupts the image for me.....that tall very white line that almost reaches the darker trees. It's top and bottom seems to be in mid-air. It almost appears as if in post a white line was drawn. Maybe just shorten it or make it go away? LOL!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Fantastic composition...I like all the vertical lines and the positioning of the taller group of trees in the background. This mist is a big plus. The strong contrast of black and white, particularly on the foreground posts add interest. The picture is unique.

Glenn

8. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    Superb in all regards. Inspirational!

9. I just now realized another reason why I'm so partial to this image: I'm a sucker for diagonals. This image not only has two diagonals but they're also going in opposition directions.

10. Horizontals, diagonals, verticals, textures and tones---this shot has 'em all! Well done Walter.

11. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    Excellent work, Walter! Marvellous image!
    Nothing left for me but to agree with all of the above :)

12. +1 to Bart :). I also agree with Karen about the tall white post. I would simply remove it it the image was mine.

13. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    All I can say is WOW. Thank you all for the compliments. I’m very honored and flattered.

@Butlerkid@Butlerkid .. I think that tall white stake is one that has been pushed up out of the ground. As the marsh freezes and thaws, these stakes are sure to get pushed up out of the mud.

I believe these stakes help stabilize the grasses. If you look at the base of the stakes, you can see netting. This helps keep the soil in place. The marsh grasses are of significant importance to the crabs and other water creatures the thrive and depend on them in the Chesapeake Bay.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  14. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    For comparison here is the color version. This photograph was taken in March 2009.

WPR-20090314-4423.jpg

15. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    Nothing wrong with the colour version, but B&W hands-down winner.

• Agree Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.