Blankety-blank gazebo

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by PhilY, Jul 8, 2007.

1. This thing is evil. The problem with that is it lives very close to my home so I have to look at it all the time. It's just a simple gazebo with some stage type seating in front of it but it's evil, I'm tellin' ya.

Have you heard the saying, "can't see the forest for the trees"? I'm there. This thing has beat me down to my knees. I *know* there is an image in or around this thing somewhere but I'll be hanged if I can find it and I have been trying for a couple of years now. I have used it for a people prop and got some very good shots but apparently I am incapable of shooting "it" with any satisfactory results. I have hit the proverbial wall. I have shot this thing wide and tele -- from across the lake and same side -- high angle and low. Nothing.

I thought I would post my latest set of shame here and see of you guys have any ideas. I'm beginning to think fire may be the solution. :biggrin:

I decided to leave my zooms at home and just take one mid tele, an 85, to see if it would help me find perspective. I also decided to make it a secondary subject, the back-lit fountain -- maybe it would get mad and show me an image. I shot from F1.8 to F8 and moved the point of focus all over the place. I'm still blind. That "fire" thing is sounding better and better. :biggrin:

original.

View attachment 104662

View attachment 104663

View attachment 104664

View attachment 104665

View attachment 104666

I know there has to be an image around that thing somewhere but I'll be hanged if I can find it. Humm -- maybe I should just try denying it exists. heh

Phil

2. I tend to agree.....................do you need some matches? Some subjects just don't lend themselves to being photographed.

3. either a chainsaw or 500millionmeter lens is how I would deal with this. :biggrin:

4. Thanks for the commiseration, Chris and Dave. Maybe I should just dress the thing up with a few young tenderlings of the female persuasion to see if that will make it a little more presentable.

Nah -- the fire would be more fun! :biggrin:

Phil

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Water spout (fountain) is in the wrong place...lolol

I have seen scenes with the same frustration.
    I have concluded , that they are just not photogenic and quit trying:>)))

6. To just quit fooling with the thing is probably the wise decision, Gale. Problem is -- I've never been known to take the path of least resistance. :biggrin:

It's at a local park close to my home and I use the walking paths from time to time and it gets on my last nerve. I think it has become an obsession. About every 6 months or so I decide to give it another go and end up deleting all the shots. This is just the latest round. Oh, well.

Phil

7. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I think that a lot of snow on it would be about the best choice, and probably BW, so think cold, snow and ice.

Wade

8. That's a pretty good idea, Wade, and there's only one problem with it. The last time there was any snow and ice around here to amount to anything, I bought a brand new Jeep. It was an '88 model. :biggrin:

Phil

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Welllll, :>)))))

I would look for beautiful light in early morning or evening.
    Perhaps foggy as well.

Warm the image up a bit.

I do notice the water is blown out.

Make art out of it.

I will think some more:>)))))

10. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Well, I thought you lived in the BH store! lol But now I see it is only the web version!

Wade

11. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Phil,

Greetings. To my eye, the problems,

- parking lot on other side
    - overhanging branches above
    - shooting into light
    - and most of all, uh, so... what's the story, what's the subject

Suggestions

- try early morning (especially if there is mist, fog)
    - is there a better perspective to the right?
    - is there a higher perspective shooting down without the branches getting in the way?
    - I guess the story could be isolation, solitude
    - There could be something in the repeated rhythm of the oval fountain shapes and the oval shape of the gazebo fence especially from a possition further to the right, maybe shoot the fountain through the gazebo?
    - Could try long exposure to get a differnent texture in the water
    - Could try closer with the diamond shape of the fence playing off a triangular shape of a very horizontal fountain perhaps with long exposures...
    - is there a reason not to try on the other side of the water?

Hey, take it as a composition challenge... (Sorry, I don't think you're off the hook) It might take a person sitting in the gazebo to create a subject in the shot.

Cheers,

-Yamo-

12. I like the matches idea on a dark moonlit night with kids playing around it silhouetted against the dancing flames.

13. Phil

Thanks for sharing your frustration! I think many of us hit the same wall with certain locations that we believe hold a latent image that we just can't seem to put our fingers / lens on.

I too have a "thing" with gazebos! The suburb I live in has them as part of the town emblem. Many are located around town and I have been trying to take a picture of one to sort of characterize the town in one shot. No luck so far.

Maybe you've started a new challenge.... :wink:

Take pictures of the surrounding views in the morning and evening, different seasons and see which one of us can suggest the "best" composition / image.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  14. Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys -- some very good ideas there. I have already tried most of them, though. This thing just doesn't lend itself to photography very well -- at least not to my eye. One of you could probably take one glance at it and say, "oh, yeah -- do it like *this*".

The problem is two-fold I think.

1. Like Dan said above, I like gazebos. Done right, they can be neat additions to most any area.

2. Pretty much everything about this one sucks. :biggrin:

It's painted a flat, ugly color. There is total shade on the East side so no morning light hits it and there is nothing to slow the blaze of the afternoon sun so what light hits is flat and ugly. It is too "busy" all around it -- too much junk in the background no matter the direction. You can't get perspective on the "best" side because it's right at the water's edge on that side. Other than me being hard-headed, I really should give it up as a lost cause.

I thought I had a shot of it from directly across the lake to better show the photographic issues but I guess I deleted them all -- thank goodness. The very best image I have ever shot of the beast is as only a hint of gazebo on the far left of the frame. This was from yet another failed attempt of mine about a year ago.

original.

That fire thing is sounding better and better all the time. :biggrin:

Phil

15. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Well, if you're ready to give up... you could always take up painting :wink:

[​IMG]

Cheers,

-Yamo-