Bleak and windswept

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by RayGuselli, Dec 20, 2005.

1. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hope you like a little

All the best

Ray

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Awwwwww I see you got it worked out, with the sky and tree tops. Boy that was a tough one.
    TERIFFIC.. Goegeous colors. Love that blue.
    Really nice starting image as well......

I have a question though. I am not good with light. I wonder where the sunlight came from on the front of the tree.. Sun is shining other direction ????

3. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Sorry - quick change

Meant to send the image with blue desaturated - here goes

Ray

[​IMG]

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Again, I like the saturated blue. See messages at retouching :>))))

5. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Gale

Many thanks for the posts.

Well I agree entirely re the light but I just had to lighten those trees as if from a secondary source.

The light is definitely to their rear but I felt that to leave them black or dark lost the impact - it seems to jolt the senses almost.

But yes...you are right!:biggrin:

Gale, for me it was real hard to get those trees out of the original and I managed only because of help from, in particular, Wilkev and Sam Briggs over on the other forum. But you know, it really made me focus and learn some tricks.

Not as good as their takes but I now realise how dificult an extraction it was.

Many thanks again Gale always nice to hear from you

Best wishes

Ray

6. I saw this one over there too Ray - very dramatic - you have a very imaginative eye!!! I may have told you that before. :biggrin:

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yes Ray I watched you learn that really tough extraction...The guys over there are really good. No doubt about it.
    what is so great they are will to share and teach.

Wonderful , knowledgable and talented folks there. Been going there several years. (no still don't understand layers and masks )

Sure miss some of those that are not there anymore. Like FEIVEL... Not the same with out the "feivel".

I will have to find the post about the banana. Did you see that by chance. I laughed so dam hard.

8. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Gale

Yes,

Lots of help on that forum - some clever guys.

Feivel is missed - he was great...missed the banana post - must try to find it.

All the best

Ray

9. How on earth do you do it...

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
  11. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Justin

Out of interest this was the original.

I had to get some help re the extraction but once I found out how to get that near I was able to play with the lighting.

If you want the psd file I can always send it to you to see what I have bee up to if that would help.

Best wishes

Ray

Original

[​IMG]

12. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Terrific

I've got to spend time in the retouching forum and learn from all of you once Christmas is over!!!!

13. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    How about this Ray?
    [​IMG]

Just a quick play with it in CS2

14. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Chaz

Hi Chaz,
    Wonderful - love what you have done and I never thought of b/w.

Love the efect and the rework - it has a new feel.

Many thanks for taking the time to work on it.

All the best

Ray

15. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Forgot to ask Chaz

How did you do the extraction/mask please?

Like the shadows - how did you do that please - think I know but like the effect you have - would you explain please.

Really appreciated.

Thanks

Ray

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    LOL Ron,
    We sure had alot of fun when "feivel" was on the forum.

I believe he is a psychiatrist in real life. He is not on the forum any anymore. Directing his life and interests in other directions at the time. Family etc. He is very talented. Sence of humor is fantastic. The bantering that used to go on between several on the forum was just hilarious. Great to see and sorely missed.
    I am glad you enjoyed that little caper.
    Yes I laughed so hard I cried.

Cheers

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Chaz
    That looks wonderful. You did a great job.

Another Image with many faces again.

Ya know Ray is a pretty good photographer... :>))))
    He has a vision and goes out and captures it.
    Fantastic.

18. nice work Ray & Chaz :smile: I remember that banana thread from '03...really funny ..those were the days :biggrin:

19. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Hi Ray, First I selected the sky using the colour range command getting as close as possible to the edge of the branches by adding to the selection (shift hold click). I then pasted the new sky into the selection. Then I inversed the selection so the tree was selected and using the burn tool set to highlights at a low opacity I went around the outside of the branches with a light burn to remove the lighter branch tips left behind by the pasting of the new sky. Then I expand the selection by 10pixels and then feather it by 10 pixels and applied a very light blur to the edges with the blur tool again at a low opacity. Then copy the selected tree and paste it.On the pasted layer alter brightness and contrast untill the tree is quite dark and then apply a gausian blur and move to desired location after flipping vertically.
    Thats pretty much it I think, around 8 minutes in total!
    Hope it helped, very few pictures are ever past saving if you have the patience.