Blending Two Images

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by JustinD, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Hello all. I have two images that I'd like to combine. One is exposed for the sky and the other is exposed for the foreground.

Can anyone outline a tutorial for doing this? Is there a simple way to do it? Or is it all very complicated? Any online resources that are good? I'd appreciate any and all assistance with this. Thanks in advance!

2. Firstly, we need to know what software you're using before we can guide you...

3. Good point, Sandi. I'm using Photoshop CS.

4. I wrote this simple tutorial a while back. There are more sophisticated solutions, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1007&message=7344371

5. Much appreciated, Frank!

6. Frank has written a good tutorial here and this is not meant to take anything away from that. Another method I have used is one that is outlined in Scott Kelby's book, Photoshop CS for the Digital Photographer. His tutorials are step by step and even the complete neophyte can follow them. He has many other tutorial in this book as well. It is well worth the money to acquire this book.

7. No offense taken, Gordon. Kelby's book is my most valued resource for editing. I think it should be on every photographer's bookshelf!

8. Hi Uncle Frank. I agree about Kelby's book. He is one of the reasons I was able to learn a lot about PS not to mention the Retouching on the dark side. I have several books of his and since I haven't done much retouching in a while since I have been here, on my shelves. I am now waiting on his channels book the end of Dec because that is one problem I have so he will make it easy for me to understand.

I need to get his books out to keep up with my PS skills before I lose them :)