Blending with F. Miranda's DRI Pro

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Elf_8, Apr 9, 2005.

1. One thing that keeps my mind busy while shooting is the dynamic range of the scenery, and how to squeeze it into my D70 sensor. I have it understood that, as a general rule, a digital sensor can translate a range of about 5 stops. There are many situations where the natural dynamic range is much higher - and that is where my mind starts to be busy : expose for the highlights or for the shadows - use a grad neutral filter... or blend into one shot two that were taken a) for the highlights and b) for the shadows.
    I have just tried this last alternative, for the first time and used a script sold by F. Miranda, called the DRI Pro (Dynamic Range Increase, I guess...), to manage it. Here is my first result at it :

[​IMG]

Do you have any experience with this type of work, either with this specific script, or with any other procedure ?

2. Original

Hi Christian,

could you post the original so we could see the difference.

Thanks,

Stu

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Christian,

I have not tried this yet, although it looks quite attractive. It's kind of hard though, to get two identical exposures of flying birdies.... :lol:

Your results look very good. I'm assuming that you brought the levels up on the middle building with this technique, right?

Regards,

Frank

4. You are right about trying to shoot movement. This can only work on landscapes or other relatively static setting, although, as you can see here, there are people walking on the left sidewalk. They appear only on the overexposed version, and I was afraid they would become ghosts on the final result, but obviously not.
    Right again about the middle building. With an exposure set for the sky, facing the sun almost directly, this facade was completely underexposed.

5. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    looks pretty good

Looks like great tonal range. I second a request for the originals.

And Frank, I looked at your shots of the "birdies" and just figured you were using this approach all the time!

6. Re: looks pretty good

Here is the overexposed version - straight out from the camera...

[​IMG]

and the largely underexposed one, also straight "as is".

[​IMG]

7. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Christian,

Fred's plugin is an excellent way to blend two exposures. Mike Worley, a frequent poster to DPR and a good friend, used the plugin on one of his shots when we were in the Tetons last September. He's now selling the print at local (Phoenix) art fairs. Here's a link to his finished product: http://www.pbase.com/mike_worley/image/39286192

And here's one I used Fred's plugin on: original.

8. These are awesome. I'm breathless (but don't worry, I'm fine now).

What would you say are the guidelines to set the range from the over- to the underexposed images - would you just expose for the highlights, and then for the shadows, whatever the range, or would you recommend, for example, a 3-stop or say 5-stop interval ? In this case, would autobracketing serve to get the originals to work from ?
    Have you ever tried blending 3 images in two steps, from a + b, and then the result + c ?

9. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    I haved used this plugin/technique for no more than a 3-stop range. And I use autobracketing to get the originals to work with. It' simple, it's fast and it minimizes subject movement (for example, leaves blowing in the wind) that would spoil the blend. I've never tried blending 3 images but it sounds like an experiment I'll try.

By the way, thanks for the comment on the images. The scenery in the Tetons gave us a good subject to work with.

Joe

10. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Well, I use this plugin heavily. There are instances where it works flawlessly and then there are situations where it creates halos :(.

I try this plugin first and if I am not satisfied, I revert to hand painting a mask in photoshop.

anand

11. Nice depth Christian. :) :) :) :)

12. Thanks all for that precious info. Obelix, I will dig in a bit more the use of the plug-in and when halos or other problems arise, I will come back to you about your brush technique.

13. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA