Blind test

Discussion in 'Birds' started by dmwphoto, Jan 1, 2006.

1. I set up a makeshift blind in the woods behind my house today. It was mostly cloudy most of the 6 hours I spent sitting here but lots of action. The squirrel was nearly caught by a red shouldered hawk and if I had not been so surprised by the attack I could have got it captured. The hawk actually hit the ground trying to get the squirrel, near miss. got a picture of the hawk but not a very good one so I will not post that.
    did you see that?????? he nearly got me
    [​IMG]
    I might not have the brightest colors but they say I am pretty...
    [​IMG]
    OK, OK so I GOT THE BRIGHTEST COLORS, am I pretty???
    [​IMG]

Dave

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Cool shots..

3. Dave
    Very nice love the red bellied woodpecker the blind will help very much

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Looks like the blind worked well. Very good shots Dave. :smile:

5. Very cool Dave, that's crazy the hawk missed!

6. I have just started using a blind and they can make a big difference your so close that you can tell the sound of the different birds by there wing noises the woodies sound a lot different than the others.

I haven't seen any hawks when in the blind yet but a sharpie took a Pine Siskin I was focusing on once, bit of a suprise.

Your going to have lots of fun, it pretty neat having so much going on around you and they don't know your there.

Martin

7. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    Dave,
    Nice shots and great story.

8. Nice shots Dave, you should have posted the hawk anyways. I mean you sat there for 6 hours. LOL.............. Its like fishing all day, and you get that one bite and miss it, urghhhhhhhhhhhhhh. good news is there is always a next time and you dont have to travel far :wink: Would luv to see a pic of blind. Actually thinking of buying one that is built in 15seconds and folds back up to a 30 inch disk by 2-3 inches think. Looks kind of cool :cool:

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave & Martin I'd like to see a shot of your blinds.

Keith Can you post a link to the one that you found?

Thanks,

10. Frank,
    I cut down two small cedar trees and set them using a larger one that still standing as a backdrop to conceal my outline. used the hand saw and cleared a few obstructing bushes in the shooting area. This is located near good food and water sources (natural) at edge of a field just about 30 yards into the woods. Did all the prep on saturday, tried it out sunday, worked great. I own the land so cutting the trees is not a problem. I will try and get back in there next weekend and get a picture of it all.
    here is a link to another one to complimemt Mike mac's posting.
    http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ...lind&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Dave & Mike. :smile:

12. Frank, give you an idea, page 9 of 20 . Mikes looks very similiar. Key is super light weight and it is about the size of a hoola hoop in a bag if that makes sense..........

http://www.russellsports.com/files/281-300hs06.pdf

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Keith. :smile:

14. bfjr

bfjr Guest

blind a great idea.
    Dig that squirrel tail action !!