Blindsided

So to set the stage for the news I received late this afternoon a little background info. I will let you draw your own conclusions from there.

As some of you may remember I injured myself back in the beginning of Jan. taking me out of work with the security company I work for. I went back to work on April 1st, and I was placed at one of the Hotels full time that I used to guard once or twice a week.

They had a new night auditor working for them, and I was speaking with her one night my first week back, and the following week I get wind of her going to her supervisor saying that I was "bothering" her, and keeping her from performing her job. This supposedly was passed on to my employer, but I was never approached by them about it, so I dismissed the incident and continued about my duties.

Fast forward to May 6th, and I made a request to have Sat. and Sun. of the Memorial Day weekend off, and I was immediately denied. I contacted the general manager to ask why, and he said that I missed the mandatory three week request deadline by one day, and also that he had too many officers already scheduled off for that weekend. He then said that he would keep the request on hand, and if things changed he would see what could be done.

I received my schedule yesterday afternoon for this week, and they scheduled me for both Sat. and Sun. I again contacted the general manager, and asked if I could work Sat. night, and have Sun. night off so I could at least attend an event that day. He politely responded that he would speak with my direct supervisor to see if they could work something out, and call me later today.

I received a call at 5:30 tonight from my supervisor saying "We have been informed by _____________ at the ____________ Hotel that you have been saying inappropriate things to the employees, and they have requested that you be removed from the account. Your employee handbook states that if you're asked by a client to be removed that is immediate grounds for termination. At this time you are no longer employed by us."

I'm still not really sure what to think at this point. I'm angry, sad, and confused all at the same time.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I am really sorry to hear this, Gary. That must have come as quite a shock. Unfortunately, Vermont is an "At Will" state. According to the Vermont Department of Labor:

No Reason for Termination

Vermont is considered an “at will” state. An employer may terminate an employee for any reason as long as it is not one of the protect classes e.g.: race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability. Vermont law also prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation, HIV status, place of birth, and age over 18. It is also unlawful to retaliate or discriminate against employees or applicants that have alleged employment discrimination. If you feel you have been discharged due to discrimination please contact the Attorney General's office at www.atg.state.vt.us
If you feel you've been discriminated against, I would contact the website listed for the AG's office to see what your options are.

Sorry to hear about this, I have been there. But at the same time look at it as a blessing in disguise. You now have a chance to try something else or follow a passion. One thing i would do is try to get an actual answer as to why they terminated you. Most companies have a CYA policy of conducting formal and written compaints that you sign so when they fire you, they are covered. if they did not do this I am curious as to why. Also, if the stements and accusations were mad falsely, I would seek legal counsel as it could be considered slander. and a different route, your employer may be making it up as a means for dismissal due to your previous injury and increased insurance rates as stated..... lots of possibilities. No matter what, it will work out in the end.

your employer may be making it up as a means for dismissal due to your previous injury and increased insurance rates as stated..... lots of possibilities. No matter what, it will work out in the end.
I'd bet this ^^^

I'm sorry it happened to you, sounds like it may have been time to move on anyway though. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom