blinking rgb on d200 lcd playback

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by mrdinh, Dec 24, 2005.

1. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    what or why does it do that?

2. You must have the highlights display selected.
    It's blinking along with any RGB blown highlights in the shot.
    Try taking a massively overexposed picture and you'll see why.
    The RGB blinks because you can also (with the multi-image grid button and the multi-selector) select individual Red, Green, or Blue channel highlights.
    you can turn this screen off if you don't want highlights in your playback info screens, btw.

3. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    I was told that the blinking means that there is a spike or 'blown highlight' in the image. I am new to this and do not know the proper technical terms, sorry. I have experienced the same situation while playing/learning with my D200 and noticed that if you look real close into the image, you will find a spot that blinks along with the rgb. AS an example, I took a picture in my living room and the flash reflection from my tv (which was turned off) showed up as a white spot in the image and was blinking.

hope this helps - it is almost like a game of hide and seek - I take a picture and try to find the blinking pixels - lol.

Happy Holidays
    Mark

4. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    lol - yep, what Harrison said - gee, you type fast, beat me to the post button

5. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    guess nothing bad then?...geesh...all these damn probs people are reporting on dpreview is crazy....sup?

thanks again for your help

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well stay out of DPR..Or only listen to the pros.. You know who thery are.

7. DPR is a madhouse...full of people out of their depth with this camera, who don't bother to read the manual, or even the DPR preview which had almost every menu option examined, or know the first thing about photography period. They're all 'why are there these weird dots at ISO 3200?!?!?!' or ' what does the button inside the on/off ring do!' or 'why are my pictures all weird colors inside?!"

Stay here and when you're there, just point and laugh :wink:

8. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    thanks harrison, and happy holidays to all here!!!

9. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I was just surfing over there... it is quite a madhouse of activity. Then again, I'm sure their user-base is much larger than ours... but, I've been doing my best to spread the word!

Merry Christmas all!! Stay safe -- have fun!

10. RGB always blinks

It seems the RGB in the highlights display always blinks. I just took a photo of my carpet, plain beige, nice spike in mid-histogram, no flashing pixels, but the RGB still blinked. I wish they wouldn't -- it's distracting.

11. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    just the blinking is distracting...thought there was something wrong