Blizzard (8 pics)

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Frits, Dec 16, 2005.

1. For Cafe members like Heiko, Rathika and others in warm areas :smile: :smile: - a glimpse of our winters:

Today we are having the first snow storm of the winter. It is going to be a good one. I went out just after 08:30, shortly after it started, to take some pictures (D1x with just the 35-70 f/2.8). The forecast has this blizzard with us all day - it'll be a dandy by the time this one is over. In this part of the world life goes on when blizzards hit - we are well equipped and it happens frequently. Nevertheless it is potentially very dangerous and one must really know what to do (by car as well as just on foot).

Note on camera: It was howling cold, the camera got just about frozen, got full of snow, ice etc. and also very wet (since I kept it under my jacket when walking). It never missed a beat - this is what pro-build is all about!

Here goes:

I have a contractor who clears my driveway with a tractor / snowblower. Days like these he will come a number of times during the day:

My street (we are the second house from the left):

The pedestrian side of an overpass - just about unpassable:

A nearby highway - slowed down, but still moving:

Another shot of the highway, a tanker truck on its way to deliver vital heating oil:

Peolple leaving to go to work. The usual 45 minutes or so to get to the city will probably take 2 - 3 hours...:

Near "white-out" conditions in my neighbourhood: you are not able to distinguish between the road, the sides and the sky - it is just all white (very dangerous and much, much worse at night!):

The only pedestrians I met: doggie still needs to do "his thing" (which is why I have a cat :biggrin: :biggrin: ):

footnote: Although I had set the cam for overexposure, it was not enough :Curved: :Curved: hence the lousy color...

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Is it any consolation that it gets chilly, and we get some fog in California during our winter? :Devil:

3. NOOooooo :biggrin: :biggrin:

4. Fort Pierce, Florida after Jeanne.
    So you wanna trade?

5. Thanks Frits for reminding me why I moved to Florida! For a sympathy vote, it is rather cool here today with a high only in the mid 60s! Also might rain this weekend. :rolleyes:

6. Nope....and we are rightfully reminded of this often: we get bad winters but true natural disasters are a rarity here - we certainly are blessed in that way.

7. very cold, miserable looking, but if it is home it would look ok to me. Living in virginia i get a moderate showing of both extremes, hot, cold/snow and natural disasters. thanks for sharing! now may I suggest a hot "toddie"

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WOW,
    Excuse me while I turn the heater up.
    My screen is now frozen.

I do not envy that weather, and don't know how you folks do it.

Thanks for the pictures. Keep us up-dated. Stay safe and warm.

9. Wow Frits and to think that I had to water my lawn this morning. Your images tell it all.

10. Kevin...what kind of temps are we looking at in Feb for the Merritt shoot. What is the average temp at that time?

Thanks,

11. PM sent Melissa

12. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    I am freezing just looking at those pictures! I was just outside with my dogs looking at my 2 trees... that are just now starting to look like fall! It was only 32 outside this morning when I got up, but I bet you would trade for that anyday!

BE CAREFUL out there, and happy Holidays!

13. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frits :

Ah, snow ! Having lived in Canada, and more particularly, worked in Montreal (almost stayed there to teach), these are familiar scenes. Nothing very amazing, the first big hit of the season, but more to come.

Living now near mountains in the Southwest, I get the deep snow when I go to the backcountry, and precious little on my driveway. Crisp nights in winter, cool nights in summer. Even when there's snow and cold in winter, I can sit on the deck in the morning with a heavy sweater and drink my coffee, or a glass of wine for the sunset.

Bliss.

John P.

P.S. And if you and your lovely wife want to drop in for a glass of wine at end of day or some "fortified coffee" in a morning, let me know... :wink:

14. Wow John, it seems that you have the best of both worlds, weatherwise. Having a "coffee" :biggrin: with you sounds very inviting, but somewhat out of the way. We do love the mountains and the West. We have spent a lot of time in the Rockies - sometimes just a weekend but also whole vacations.

15. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    high 70 to mid 80's

16. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frits :

Just let me know when you're coming through, as I travel for work a lot. I don't often have a "coffee" in the morning, but for good guests, I can make an exception. :wink: :rolleyes: :wink:

As for the climate here, I haven't worn my winter coat once in ten years. I do layer up for snowshoeing in the backcountry, but it's nothing like northern Alberta, northern Ontario, or nothern Quebec, to name a few "Canadian garden spots" I've worked in during the winter. I think the lowest temperature I've seen here was -5°F, scarcely worth wearing more than a shell jacket for !!!

These days, it's home.

John P.

P.S. Odd though it sounds, I actually liked being assigned to work in the northern parts of Canada. There's something wondrous and magical about winter in the north. But I do know that's not the majority opinion of Canadians. :cool:

17. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Wow, Frits, I'm frozen stiff only looking at your pictures :Shocked: !

I know snow from when I lived in Germany, and sometimes get to see it when I'm there, but nothing like that.

This year we spent our vacation in Germany (once again) and I took the kids (now 5 years old) to see snow for their first time. We had to drive into the Alps up to 2800 meter to have a little snow (well, it was in the summer). See my avatar, it was taken there (it's me reflected in my sons sunglasses). For the kids it was great fun and a unique experience.

Just for consolation: temps here dropped and we had some heavy rain this morning - the first real rain this season. My garden shed filled 4" with water and I had to drill some extra drain holes in the wall nearby. It doesn't rain much here, but when it rains, it pours.

Take care of yourself and stay warm!

18. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;