Blooming..?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    As it refers to digital cameras, just what exactly is 'blooming', how is it created, how do you avoid it, and do you have a photo example?
    Thanks,
    Jarrell

2. TOF guy

TOF guy

Mar 11, 2005
    Light hitting the sensor creates charges. These charges cumulate as the exposure continues (until the shutter closes) in a region of the semiconductor which is called a well. When the exposure is finished, the signal is measured by letting the charges drain through a specific wire, and in the process the charges get counted.

The wells have a limited capacity. If the exposure is very long, a significant amount of charges may leak to the surrounding pixels. The result is that the pixels around the overexposed area are more white than they should: there is blooming around the overexposed area.

This can be avoided by one of the following:
    - using a higher ISO setting
    - avoiding strong light sources in the picture
    - exposing conservatively.

I don't have an example to show you (the result of having shot slide for quite a long time). But if you google "blooming ccd" for instance, chances are that you'll find quite a few examples.

Thierry

3. This is a blooming good explanation. This must explain why it's hard to get a nice circular sun with a digital camera.

4. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Thanks for that explanation, I understand it perfectly. Now, I have to find a camera with a ccd that has extra deep wells!