Blooms from GWU

Vienna, Virginia (Washington DC Suburbs), USA
Hi All, after a few student meetings today, I strolled around campus to see what was available. Tricky mid-afternoon light, and wind... Not ideal ,but a few interesting ones. I had more grandiose plans, but my students took up more time than I had imagined, indeed I was in such a rush, I didn't even notice that I had EV -0.7 :rolleyes: Ah well...

Handheld, D700, 105VR + 1.4TC

1. Liriope f5, 1/125 (I am contemplating a study on these tiny blooms and have many here at home!).

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Backlit Rose f8, 1/500

3. Rosebud f8, 1/400

4. Roses f8, 1/100

5. Rose f4.5, 1/400

6. Chalk residue f4.2, 1/5000

Looks like you had a pleasant walk around your campus today Rich. I don't think these images really suffer from being accidentally under exposed, I tend to keep me D50 set to -0.7 particually if I'm shooting outside in harsh lighting.

I really like image no4. I am also very interested in no6, I never knew that chalk residue could make such interesting colours. It looks almost like the effect you get when petrol is spilt onto the road.

Rich - Looks like a very productive walk indeed. I too am MOST taken with numbers 4 (the composition) an 6 (the colors). Very nice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like you had a pleasant walk around your campus today Rich. I don't think these images really suffer from being accidentally under exposed, I tend to keep me D50 set to -0.7 particually if I'm shooting outside in harsh lighting.

I really like image no4. I am also very interested in no6, I never knew that chalk residue could make such interesting colours. It looks almost like the effect you get when petrol is spilt onto the road.
Thank you Robert, I think the chalk was leftover from a play session from a local daycare center. The children often use our (small) greenspace for play and other activities. Always fun to see them. So, I guess, it's not really residue as I described it, but it did not represent anything that I could see, was just a heavy patch of varied chalk, that looked rather striking. I would have given it more time, but my parking meter was near finished, and a thunderstorm was about to erupt!

I suppose the chalk might have been residue, if is was leftover of a drawing that got mixed together by a rainstorm or something?

Rich - Looks like a very productive walk indeed. I too am MOST taken with numbers 4 (the composition) an 6 (the colors). Very nice!
Thanks Steven for your kind comments...

Rich,
Great to see that you are putting the 700 to some good use... I love the colors on #6.
They are all good but I think the weakest of all is #2. The contrast in the back ground between the top and bottom are a bit distracting for me. The rest are beautifully composed and executed.

beautiful set, rich
thanks for taking us on your walk around GWU

any pictures of your students?
Thanks Greg, not many students around these days. Second summer session is over, and students won't be back until after Labor day...

Rich,
Great to see that you are putting the 700 to some good use... I love the colors on #6.
They are all good but I think the weakest of all is #2. The contrast in the back ground between the top and bottom are a bit distracting for me. The rest are beautifully composed and executed.
Thanks Paul. In #2 I was try to capture gorgeous rose from a different angle and get the sky in, which was blue, but nothing worked, too tricky an exposure for this amateur! I need to look and see if any of the others were better, but I think this was a the best one! Always good to hear your thoughts.

It happens to me all the time. I always forget to put EV back to 0. Beautiful shots. My favorite is the Rosebud.

That's interesting how individual tastes can deviate - I like #2 very much.

1) Because I am generally not a fan of overly saturated colors
2) Because it looks so different from the main-stream
3) Because it just has a pleasant mood.

Cheers

Thanks Greg, not many students around these days. Second summer session is over, and students won't be back until after Labor day...
ah....
a few moments of peace and quiet for you
hope that you will have more relaxing moments before then.... and, share them with us

thanks for your reply

It happens to me all the time. I always forget to put EV back to 0. Beautiful shots. My favorite is the Rosebud.
Torben, glad to hear it's not just me! Rosebud, eh? Well, as this thread well-illustrates, people like different kinds of images! It's all great in my mind...

That's interesting how individual tastes can deviate - I like #2 very much.

1) Because I am generally not a fan of overly saturated colors
2) Because it looks so different from the main-stream
3) Because it just has a pleasant mood.

Cheers
Harry, Thanks for the kind comments, and these are good points. It is always important for me to remember that people do like different things and not always shoot the same way...

ah....
a few moments of peace and quiet for you
hope that you will have more relaxing moments before then.... and, share them with us

thanks for your reply
I'll try Greg! Had fun at the Baltimore Inner Harbor with my 7 year old assistant today, may post some in the D700 section later tonight...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom